Mixer tap conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They say that growth only comes through pain… so I guess I should thank whoever plumbed this house, all those years ago, for sitting down and really working out the hardest way to do things, for me to sort out…

Anyway, those of you who were kind enough to help me with my toilet conundrum might like another laugh. I want to replace this ugly, knackered mixer unit:

20190805_121847.jpg

…so had a look underneath.

20190805_122000.jpg
20190805_121906.jpg

What do you think of this mess? If I buy a new mixer unit, is it likely to have little thin pipes attached like this one? I thought they all had the same ½” fitting?

Note that the ½” pipes, lower down, are covered in solder like the inlet for the toilet was…

I’d kind of imagined just putting a new mixer in the hole, attaching a 300mm flexible pipe, cutting the lower copper pipes, and doing up the compression joints…

Oh, and of course that rising/falling waste thing… should that be a simple replacement for the one I have already?

Stop laughing out there :mad:

Sponsored Links
Most Monoblock taps will have the smaller (10mm or 12mm) flexible tails and a fitting to adapt to 15mm (½") on the end.
I would advise changing the waste for a spring loaded pop up or pivoting type so you don't have to faff around with a linkage like you have now.

I would advise changing the waste for a spring loaded pop up or pivoting type so you don't have to faff around with a linkage like you have now.

See, that’s the sort of lateral thinking I just can’t do – I will look hard at every which way to replace mine with the same item, not even realising that there are entirely different types which would save me a lot of grief – thank you!

I guess the kind of waste you’re recommending will just fit in the metal ring that I’ve got – I’m assuming they’re all standard that way, but I’ve learned that it’s dangerous to assume…

I’d really like to take the ring out too, as it’s gold and everything else is going to be chrome, but I don’t think you can remove them…?

Sponsored Links
I’d really like to take the ring out too, as it’s gold and everything else is going to be chrome, but I don’t think you can remove them…?

After the linkage is disconnected wedge something in the plug hole web and get a pair of grips on the under side top gold bit screws out of the underneath bit.

Put one of these in it's place.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/sprung-basin-waste-slotted/41691

Your trap looks like it is adjustable so that should fit.

Only things to watch out for is the washer on the trap is undamaged, you can get spares (1¼") and sealing the new trap can be a pain as basins are not always uniform one of these is worth getting.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/thomas-dudley-ltd-basin-waste-seal-kit-3-piece-set/8795r
If all else fails plumbers mait or silicone will sort it!(y)

It'll be part of the new waste: you get the plug and the hole!

I must have sounded a bit dim there – to explain, I also have an en-suite with a corroded waste surround in the sink. I asked a plumber if I could just replace that (and the plug) rather than the whole sink which, like everything else in this !@*!! house, is sunk into a bespoke floor which I really don’t want to have to replace.

I suppose, thinking back a couple of years, he didn’t actually say the waste couldn’t be replaced, but he said something like wellll, you can get them, but you’ll never get it out, you’ll end up breaking the sink and having to replace it anyway, etc etc etc.

But I’m guessing the worst case scenario is that it’s stuck in with silicone… I’m retired, have finally learned some patience in my old age, and have all the time in the world, so I guess I’ll find a way to get it out.

Really helpful info guys, thanks :D

OK… back to my problem :rolleyes:

Having had a good feel around in the dark, I think this one is going to be (yet another) struggle for me. Problem is that the nut which secures the existing tap in place is away up in the narrow recess under the back of the sink. If I stick my fingers up there, I can barely feel it.

Realistically, I don’t think I’m ever going to get any kind of spanner up in there to undo it, especially with the narrow bore pipes from the mixer in the way. I’m guessing that the original installation was done with the cupboard unit lying on its back on a bench, then fitted into place with taps and waste already in place.

So it looks like either remove the whole sink and cupboard unit (if I can without damage), change the taps etc, then fit it back; or scrap the whole unit, sink, taps, the lot, and install new ones. Which then of course won’t match the rest of the bathroom.

What would you do… answers on a £500 B&Q voucher please...

20190807_102153.jpg
20190807_102135.jpg
20190807_102120.jpg

I find that a long 3/8" socket with a long extension is good for reaching these nuts.

If you can disconnect the plug linkage underneath and pull it out from above, you'll get some more wiggle room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back