Mixer Tap - Hot Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I moved into has a mixer tap in the bathroom.

Recently the hot pressure dropped markedly. There is a pump which is situated on the pipe which feeds the hot water tap and pumps when the hot tap is opened. This is no longer pumping, which is causing the problem.

I think the cold water supply is now "flooding" the mixer tap, meaning that a "warm" supply of water can't come out of the taps - it's either hot (just the hot tap open) or cold (both taps open and the higher cold water pressure dominates the weaker hot).

I assume that the problem is with the pump, which does not seem to be working anymore and is certainly not pumping the hot water at the previous rate.

I'm going to check the pump filter to see if it is blocked, and this is reducing the flow rate.

This seems like an unusual setup, to the untrained eye. Is it usual/safe?

What kind of pump would be suitable for this function, if it does need replacing?[/code]

Sponsored Links
Safe?? the pump runs on 240 volts......just make sure you isolate correctly, howver unless you know what your doing i wouldn't recomend testing etc unless you have the correct equipment and skill.

That said you can check the hot water inlet for blockages and also make sure it is kicking in on demand by feeling/hearing it when you turn on the hot water......it might be possible to repair but maybe easier to just replace. Check screwfix website for a suitable replacement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back