Mixer tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixer tap on my bath. I pull a knob up (between the taps ) to use the attched shower. lately it has become a bit stiff. So this morning I pulled it up and the knob came off. Small pieces of metal came out of the knob as if a thread has been broken.

Now I cannot pull up the knob with out the help of pliers as there is no purchase. How can I fix it. Can I buy a spare knob or gett a fitting to put inside it

Please help

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've put some wd40 on the mixer valve to see if it become freed up. If this works then it won't be an issue if the knob come off, because the mechanism is working OK

Many tap manufacturers sell diverter valve repair kits for their taps. Bristan is one from whom I've obtained parts before, Ideal/Trevi is another.

If you can identify the brand/model then just phone them up.

If you can't, then post a picture here and someone else might.

Sponsored Links
Here are a few images

The first shows the tap with the "knob" in the middle in place

The seconds shos the taps with the knob removed

This shows a "close up of the spigot? It's a bit blurry, but it has a hexagon and on top a circular. I'll try an find a way of drawing this/

Finally the inside of the "knob"

One final question , can I descale this without removing it. I was thining of removing the shower attachment and pouring in some descaler through the opening. Would this work ? I live in a very hard water area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back