Mixer Tap question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bath/shower mixer tap which has started leaking. Unfortunately I am having trouble locating a new cartridge/cassette as the tap is probably about 15 years old.

I dont really want to start removing bath panels (I think the previous owner seems to have made them a non removable fixture. They are wooden and I cannot see a way of removing them without breaking them)

My question is
Can I undo the two nuts (as indicated in the picture) that hold the main body of the tap and simple replace it with a new body? Obviously, any new one would have to be the same size fitting and the distance between the pipes would have to match. But if this is a realistic option, I could remove the part and take it to a plumbing outlet to get one that would fit.

Attachments

• Mixer Tap.jpg
    Mixer Tap.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
Yes you can. But you may have to go on a mission to find one , good luck .regards Terry.

is the mixer thermostatic ? Whats the measurement between the nut centers,where your finger is point to ?

Non thermostatic units with 150mm centers are available from victoria plumb, apollo bath shower mixer.

Cheap and cheerful taps :LOL:

Terry
Thanks, hopefully less of a mission than trying to find a cassette, couldnt find anything even on the web.

Hot and cold
Yep, 150mm centres, non thermostaic - sounds promising.
The spanner size for the nuts is about 30 mm and the thread size looks to be about 25mm, I am guessing (hoping) this is standard (1 inch?)

Sponsored Links
Most likely 3/4 bsp thread.why not post a pic of valve and tap head. You may be searching for the wrong description .

Terry

Dunno if I've misunderstood you. The measurements were taken with calipers and are the nuts that I am pointing to in the photo, the diameter of the hole where the cartridge (Cassette?) fits is just over 40mm

The nut that your finger points to in pic ,( and the one on the opposite side ) are most likely 3/4 bsp thread. A bit confusing ,but the thread size does not relate to the outer diameter. Welcome to the world of plumbing !!!

The hole that the ceramic cartridge came out of may well be 40 mm ,I passed no comment on that. Regards Terry

Sounds like i'm still in for a bit of fun, got to put it back together for the moment, wife wants a bath and the waters turned off.Will take it apart again tomorrow and undo those nuts

Thanks for the pointers

Pete

Thanks Rob,
Sorry I didnt reply earlier, been filling buckets with water, my attempt at a temporary fix to the cassette failed miserably.
There looks like there are a few options on that site, get the wife to take a look - no worries about getting the hot water mixed up, I'm already up to my neck in it.
Gotta nip down to the plumbers merchants tomorow to get a couple of end caps (is that what they are called?) so I can get the water back on

Welcome to the world of plumbing !!!

victoria plumbing as mentioned do the apollo bath shower mixer,mail order only.

Toolstation do the Barra wall mounted bath shower mixer 48009,in stock at many of their branches use their branch finder to find local stock.

The above are similar looking taps to your existing although other bar type bath/shower mixers are available.Just swap the tap from two nuts including new 3/4 inch sealing washers. The threaded connections should be the same but there is always a first :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back