mixer tap weak hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just replaced my two single tap with a mixer (hansgrohe axor basin mixer) but for some reason the hot water is so weak/poor while the cold is very strong. Does any know how this can be corrected? I have done some research and have came across suggestion of using bigger 22m pipe for the hot and also a GRUNDFOS pump,...however being new to this what is the correct solution? Right now the hot water is far too weak and doesn't seem to be mixed. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Problem with monobloc taps is pipe size mains water wont be too bad but you probably have a tank in loft with not enough pressure to counteract restriction with small pipes

Hi, thanks for your reply..yes you're right the hot water tank is in the loft and the pressure is weak but when I had the separate single tap the hot water flow wasn't that bad, compare to now with the mixer its just unusable. So would you say for the hot water i should change to a larger pipe (currently both are 15mm) or do I need one of those pump? thanks thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply..yes you're right the hot water tank is in the loft and the pressure is weak but when I had the separate single tap the hot water flow wasn't that bad, compare to now with the mixer its just unusable. So would you say for the hot water i should change to a larger pipe (currently both are 15mm) or do I need one of those pump? thanks thanks

Sponsored Links
or you could fit another pair of single taps and get good flow at less cost.

Great, but wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of a mixer?!

except for the purpose of delivering a good flow of hot water.

Depending on your perspective, that might be a more fundamental purpose that its appearance. I suppose it depends if you want to use it as a tap or as an ornament.

Both would be the case and surely thats how it was design and built. Please can anyone offer more technical view on how this issue can be resolved, sure its simple once you know how.

tomii said:
Both would be the case and surely thats how it was design and built. Please can anyone offer more technical view on how this issue can be resolved, sure its simple once you know how.

ask the supplier if they have "low pressure inserts" for it I doubt it highly but its worth a go

these taps are designed (as has been said) for high pressures so have very small holes in them, any bigger and the water would whoosh everywhere.

Unfortunatley old blighty is a bit behind most of the developed world and still use stored water delivered by gravity which to get a decent flow the holes in the taps have to be alot bigger.

basically I think that you will need to change the taps to a type appropriate to your system

sorry

Emm...can anyone confirm I can resolve this problem by simply adding a shower pump such as the Newteam Varispeed SI single impeller to the hot water only, would this work? Anyone? Thanks!

tomii said:
Emm...can anyone confirm I can resolve this problem by simply adding a shower pump such as the Newteam Varispeed SI single impeller to the hot water only, would this work? Anyone? Thanks!

yes it would

bloody dear way to sort it though, cheaper to change the taps to something more appropriate

Before you go too far, just do a few checks. It may be an actual fault - with low pressure, air locks and debris can easily further reduce the flow.

1 Check the HW water flow is OK just before the tap - if you have a service valve undo the connection and see if water spurts out. Use a hose or bucket. Beware of too hot water.This checks the flow up to the tap.

2 Then you need to check the tap itself. You could connect the cold to the hot tap to flush it through. Reverse flushing would be better - any debris would then come out at the bottom where it's diconnected.
(you can put your hand firmly on the end of the tap and turn both HW and cold on to force the cold down the hot side. beware of splashes, keep electrical equipment clear).

PS I just read your original above - you don't say if the cold is mains pressure or also from the tank. If the cold is from the tank as well then the HW should only be slightly worse.

dal5band said:
Before you go too far, just do a few checks. It may be an actual fault - with low pressure, air locks and debris can easily further reduce the flow.

1 Check the HW water flow is OK just before the tap - if you have a service valve undo the connection and see if water spurts out. Use a hose or bucket. Beware of too hot water.This checks the flow up to the tap.

2 Then you need to check the tap itself. You could connect the cold to the hot tap to flush it through. Reverse flushing would be better - any debris would then come out at the bottom where it's diconnected.
(you can put your hand firmly on the end of the tap and turn both HW and cold on to force the cold down the hot side. beware of splashes, keep electrical equipment clear).

But it wont be, it will be a high pressure tap on a low pressure system

check previous postings Dal

I agree but let's double check - is the cold low pressure as well and working OK ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back