Mixing cable sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I needed to get power into the loft for a powered tv signal distributor. This uses a 12v plug in transformer.

I therefore used about 3m of 2.5mm TandE ring main cable that I had, spurred off a ceiling rose, going to a standard twin socket.

Is there any issue with using 2.5mm ring main cable off of a lighting circuit?

Additionally to the plugged in transformer I have run about 5m of twin flex from a plug (3A fuse) to a pendant light fitting with a 60w bulb.

All cables are neat and secured and socket is in a surface mount box.

Is this all OK?

Sponsored Links
Bigger is better, however......

2.5mm in a standard (cheapy) ceiling rose will likely put pressure on the terminals and may break them........I am not saying this applies to you.

A socket outlet on a lighting circuit is not ideal. I know the likelyhood of plugging a whooping clothes drier in up in a loft is negligable, but you cant dismiss huge discharge lighting installs or sunbeds :LOL:

Seriously, 5 amp sockets or switched fused spurs would be more suited, although not possible if the loft amp has a wall-wart type power supply.

Pluggin in a length of flex connected to a pendent has little issue to be honest, as long as strain relief has been provided. (clipped tightly to wall/joists would be fine).

Thanks for your comments. I will again check my connections in the ceiling rose to look for signs of stress.

I certainly will not be plugging anything elese on that socket - I was even thinking I had better not use it for my drill when I finally get round to laying boards. :D

Are you suggesting I add one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/98744...hite-Moulded/Volex-Range/Volex-13A-Sw-DP-FCU#

Fitted with a 5 A fuse.

Or even one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81838...Moulded/Volex-Range/Volex-6A-Fan-Isolation-Sw

The pendant /flex arrangement should be OK as it is a proper pendant rose fitting screwed to a beam.

Thans for your help.

Might be an idea to label the socket to say what it is and what it's fed from, in case somebody else finds it later on and gets confused by the 2.5mm T&E.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back