Mixing cement with type 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
Got a load of pothole repairs to do along a track, was going to fill slightly proud with type 1 then whack down with a plate. If I wet it first (just slightly, not soak it) will it compact and go hard like concrete, or should I mix a little cement in first?

Was thinking of doing a 1 to 6 cement/type 1 mix ratio, wet then whack.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Evening,
Got a load of pothole repairs to do along a track, was going to fill slightly proud with type 1 then whack down with a plate. If I wet it first (just slightly, not soak it) will it compact and go hard like concrete, or should I mix a little cement in first?

Was thinking of doing a 1 to 6 cement/type 1 mix ratio, wet then whack.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
It will go hard like concrete but will not have the strength as it is a totally different grading with a lot more fines

It will go hard like concrete but will not have the strength as it is a totally different grading with a lot more fines

Cheers. Don't need it to be super hard, just to withstand occasional vehicle traffic without breaking up any time soon.

Sponsored Links
Don't use cement to fill potholes in a track. You want it to knit in with the existing surface, not go rock hard, it would end up like a speed bump in a few years time.

Type 2 (0-20mm) is better for filling potholes than type 1 (0-40mm)
With type 1 it can be hard to bury the bigger lumps to leave a smooth surface

And yes, if the material is dry, a wee splash of water helps it compact hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back