Mixing chrome and brass compression fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a burst pipe last month and fitted a 300 mm flexible connector as a temporary fix.
I have now replaced this with a length of copper pipe (see pic). Everything is watertight, but thinking back, I may have broken some good plumbing guidelines.

* Is it OK to reuse the existing olive? Instead of cutting it off with a hacksaw and using a new olive, I wrapped some PTFE tape round the old olive and remade the joint.

* Is it OK to use chrome and brass together for a compression joing? I used the chrome nut from the flexible connector with a male brass connector.
View media item 30194 [/img]

Sponsored Links
Can't see a problem.

Ptfe round the original olive is ok.

Just looks a bit odd.

Andy.

Just looks a bit odd.

Andy.

You mean the chrome nut on a brass connector?
It's up in the loft, so I'm not worried about it looking pretty.
I was thinking that maybe chrome and brass have different expansion properties, and that mixing fittings was a definite no no.

Sponsored Links
The chrome is plated onto brass, scrape it a bit and you'll see brass underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back