Mixing plaster problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I purchased a Makita paddle mixer and mix up the plaster in those big yellow rubber buckets. But there is always tiny bits of the bucket in the mix, it's like the mixer is chopping the bucket up.

Is this an issue with the mixer, or my mixing? should I just use a harder bucket or buy a new mixer?

What do you guys use, which mixer? which buckets?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I purchased a Makita paddle mixer and mix up the plaster in those big yellow rubber buckets. But there is always tiny bits of the bucket in the mix, it's like the mixer is chopping the bucket up.

Is this an issue with the mixer, or my mixing? should I just use a harder bucket or buy a new mixer?

What do you guys use, which mixer? which buckets?

Many thanks

I think when I started with mine I noticed some bits when mixing multi finish. Might be worth checking the paddle for any sharp bits.
Perhaps reduce pressure into the bucket too.

If you are not in the trades do you really need this stuff?

FWIW, we often mixed skim in a black plastic bucket with a paint paddle, chucked into any handy corded drill.

Float or render was mixed in a bath with a hoe or shovel.

I'd suggest dont touch the plastic with the paddle and work at a low to medium speed. Use a stick to pull dry powder in from the edges. And keep washing all the tools and containers.

Hope you dont mind me asking but are you putting water in first, then powder?

Thanks for the advice. I'm not doing it for a trade, I'm renovating my whole house which is a lot of plastering so I've decided to learn. So far so good, except the mixing.

I don't mind investing in a good mixer and tools and learning, as it will still save me a fortune.

Yes water first then multi.

Sponsored Links
Clean the unmixed multi from around the rim of the bucket or tub with a gauging trowel as you mix up.. ;)Also keep your paddle clear of the edges and bottom of tub or bucket.Dont forget we have been doing it for years .We all started off learning by our mistakes or by what others taught us.Well done you for havin' a go..Oh and clean your paddle in abucket of water with a brush after you have mixed your gauge up..
;)

Drill works for me too and no plastic bucket in the plaster.

Great to see you are tackling a whole house restoration project, and learning to plaster. Its not that tricky but satisfying when you see that rough brick wall turned to beautiful smooth finish. Keep at it. :)

Thank you for all the great advice

I'm certainly enjoying it, it's very challenging and satisfying. It's amazing how the pros make it look so easy.

Depending on the design of the paddle, try running the drill in reverse. This can keep the sharper edges of the paddle away from scraping the sides of the bucket.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back