MK two gang switch - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the mains feed coming into the bottom of my switch box and two cables going out at the top to seperate downlighters I'm putting in. I want the downlighters to work seperately from each switch on the 2 gang switch.
Can you tell me where the red and black from the feed go and where the red and black from each of the two downlighter cables go. Also do the two commons on each half of the switch get linked? Please keep the jargon simple - thicko here. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The blacks are neutrals, and never get switched (in lighting circuits).

Place all the blacks into a terminal block on their own (a chocolate block, terminal block from a terminal strip, strip connector, or what ever jargon you use). Basically, do not connect to the switch plate.

The live feed (red) to both COMS, using a small link wire.

The red from one set of down lights to one L1, and the other to the other L1.

Simple.

If you follow this through in your mind, you should be able to see how this works, and how simple this is.

Make sure you place all your earths into the backbox earth terminal, and also use an earth flylead to the front plate if this is metal in construction.

many thanks - will try this tomorrow - sounds straight forward but thought I'd better check with the experts . thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back