Mock Tudor beam damaged.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,with all this wind lately one of the mock Tudor beams has become lose at the top front of my house,it is not dangerous but it vibrates in strong winds and can be heard and felt throughout the house.i have looked to fix it but not sure how as it seems the beams have been fitted using nails(masonry I assume) and not screwed,is there a special type of masonry nail used for this type of fixing as I cannot believe normal masonry nails would do ?..but obviously I could be wrong...any help/advice on what type of nails would be greatly appreciated....many thank

Sponsored Links
Here are some pics....arrows show the unfixed (loose) area. cheers.
20170302_105337.jpg
20170302_105216.jpg
20170302_105111.jpg

That to me would be an easy fix, put a couple of screws into the face joining the timber on the side elevation and if needed a couple more into the brick work.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi, that was my thoughts too BUT as I am not a lover of heights and didn't fancy using a drill up the ladder I thought maybe I could pop up the ladder with a cpl of masonry nails and bang them in quickly ...that's why I thought there may be some kind of heavy duty type nail that was more appropriate than standard masonry nails....but guess I may have to bite the bullet and use the screws....many thanks

I suspect that use of masonry nails caused this problem in the first place. Masonry screws might be better at pulling the timber back to the wall.

Hi,thanks....I've never heard of Masonry screws but having a quick read on them they seem to be the type of thing I am looking for....cheers

You still need a hole for the screw though.

OP,
If I was you, unless you are aiming for a retro-Disney look, I should take all the false timber down.

IMO,
They give any house a cheap, garish appearance.
Usually FWIW, they are set in rendered elevations.
They will rot, act as water traps (staining) begin to hang dangerously, and make the place look dilapidated.
They are mock indeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back