Mod activity

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seem to be seeing a lot of complaints about Mod activity of late. Although I feel that is wrong but because of their apparent actions I can fully understand it.

I am a SuperMod on a completely different type of forum, one that has the potential to be much more volatile than this one. However due to the way the moderation is applied there it runs much more smoothly than this site appears to do.

The mod there have a code of conduct to follow and rules to obey. The ones that would I feel help this forum are:
1) If a mod edits a members post that post is automatically date stamped with the nick of the mod and reason for edit given.
2) If a thread / post is deleted the members who posted in the thread/post are POLITLY PMed with the reason.
3) Mods cannot actually delete threads/posts but can only move then to a trash can, not viewable by the members. This way should the other crew members / admins disagree with their actions they can be reinstated. However the main reason for this is to ensure accountability and prevent abuse by mods.
4) Mods should be highly visible and accountable for their actions. Thus it is important for the members to know who the mods are and should not hide behind normal nicks.

I feel that should these rules/procedures be used here there would be a lot less antagonism towards the mods who do an unpopular, unpaid and thank less task.

Sponsored Links
I also moderate a number of forums and I agree that this is an excellent post.

One additional thing I would add (if not already in place) is that individuals should not contribute (as a poster) to any forums that they are actively moderating.

They are mutually exclusive, you either actively contribute to a topic or moderate it but not both.

MW

Yep, I agree with all points ABN. I e-mailed admin suggesting points 1 and 4 a few weeks back, but as yet have had no reply.

I also moderate a number of forums and I agree that this is an excellent post.

One additional thing I would add (if not already in place) is that individuals should not contribute (as a poster) to any forums that they are actively moderating.

They are mutually exclusive, you either actively contribute to a topic or moderate it but not both.

MW

good point there MW, it seems some mods here put there two penneth in then delete replies that they dont like. this is the sole reason i feel and im sure im not alone in the thinking that the mods should be named. therefore able to stand up for their actions, if they were named a lot less hassle woud incure.

Sponsored Links
Mods should be named ? thats easy your talking about Joe 90

Even if joe 90 is one, which I'm sure he cant be.

He was not the guy I had in mind on that section.

Joe-90 is not a Mod ... Nor is he a little rocker ... Though he is something which sounds VERY similar :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back