change of modding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there should be some clear guideline as to what mods can edit/remove. not just what they disagree with.

stuff gets deleted for no reason, without reason, and often it doesnt go again any rules

thread by secure spark in general chat. it was again no rules yet removed. why? probably because the mod didnt agree.

Sponsored Links
I have copied the forum rules and put them in a new order just to get my head around recent events

Forum Rules

Updated 4/ 3 / 06

1) Please be patient for a reply
1a) Please do not ask same thing twice
2) Post your question in the right place.
5) When posting don't try to use bold, smileys etc in the post title
6) Typing in capitals is considered to be SHOUTING
6a) Please use colours etc sparingly
7) Signatures, must not contain pictures, a url / email, etc
9) Please don't ask costs / prices. Get several quotes, then you will know for sure
12) NO Free advertising
15) This is a (privately owned, U.K. based) forum By posting on this site you have been deemed to have read and understood and agree to abide by the forum rules
17) Do not reply to "very old posts"
20 ) Do not hi-jack posts
21 No big smilies please

Fairly typical rules which are easily understood and not ambiguous or open to interpretation

22) No "Time wasting" posts

Posts, which are of no benefit to anyone, will be removed.

This is really open to interpretation - who decides what is time wasting?

I cannot think of any posts which I consider to be time wasting but that is a minor moan

8 ) Abuse will not be tolerated.
This also includes links to sites of an abusive / racist nature, any such posts will be removed with no other warning

OK now we get to the most contentious rule which must give mods their biggest headache but I cannot see that some of the recently locked posts fall foul of this rule (although to be fair some deserved to be locked /deleted)

I do tend to agree with some other members complaints though that there have been some "abusive / racist " posts which have NOT been censored by the mods

Perhaps anyone who feels strongly about this could use the "alert mods " feature more often

14) Don't comply? say goodbye

When reading the rules again this is the one which annoys me simply because it comes over as arrogant in the extreme - just my opinion

Healthy debate is a good thing

Just my 2d worth

No problem with ladies who write in about their flatulence problems, then? No rules about smut or indecency or foul language. No problems with unwelcome sexual suggestions from one forumist to another.

(edited to say, why does the profanity editor edit out the word sm ut and replace it with asterisks? People might think I was using a rude word.)

JohnD said:
No problem with ladies who write in about their flatulence problems, then? No rules about **** or indecency or foul language. No problems with unwelcome sexual suggestions from one forumist to another.

(edited to say, why does the profanity editor edit out the word sm ut and replace it with asterisks? People might think I was using a rude word.)

As none of these are covered by Abuse rule then are they considered to be time wasting :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
swelec said:
22) No "Time wasting" posts

Posts, which are of no benefit to anyone, will be removed.

This is really open to interpretation - who decides what is time wasting?
I don't agree - this rule is very clear to me. Firstly, the moderators are the ones who decide. Secondly, the criterion being used for the decision is clearly stated to be whether or not the post in question is of any benefit to anyone.

swelec said:
This also includes links to sites of an abusive / racist nature, any such posts will be removed with no other warning

OK now we get to the most contentious rule which must give mods their biggest headache but I cannot see that some of the recently locked posts fall foul of this rule (although to be fair some deserved to be locked /deleted)
Huh? Which is these conflicting beliefs do you actually hold? To put this in a more kindly manner, did you make a mistake in typing this?

swelec said:

When reading the rules again this is the one which annoys me simply because it comes over as arrogant in the extreme - just my opinion
How can this be unacceptable? The site is clearly stated to be privately owned and run. It's costs nothing to be a member, so is it reeeely too much to ask that people follow the rules defined by the site owners?

swelec said:
Healthy debate is a good thing
Absolutely!

Softus said:
swelec said:

Huh? Which is these conflicting beliefs do you actually hold? To put this in a more kindly manner, did you make a mistake in typing this?

Sorry Softus I'm getting tired. Started a new job on Monday after 3 months on the dole!!!!!!!! Too many double negatives there

What I was trying to say is that I agreed with some of the locking/deletions but disagreed with some of them.

Its all down to interpretation and that is the problem

Softus said:
swelec said:

How can this be unacceptable? The site is clearly stated to be privately owned and run. It's costs nothing to be a member, so is it reeeely too much to ask that people follow the rules defined by the site owners?

I don't disagree with the rule just that its written in a very offish/arrogant manner and I think it could be worded better

Fair play swelec. It now seems that I didn't read your posting properly - also tired.

Good luck with the new job :)

thanks - it was starting to get demoralising

had about 15 interviews in the last three months :eek: :eek: :eek:

got there in the end

MOD 2

this is not general chat boys

is reply to softus i didn't lock the origonal posts so i won't comment

MOD 2 said:
is reply to softus i didn't lock the origonal posts so i won't comment
Now I'm really confused - this topic was locked, and now it isn't. And you've added an answer to a question that I've asked on another topic.

And I don't understand your answer - can you lock posts without locking the entire topic?

MOD 2

you have made your point

now kindly behave i unlocked the post to invite addition not your arguments

And now I can't find the topic that I just created to ask you the question about locking :confused:

The one that said this:

MOD 2 - please would you explain why deleted the topic that made the following suggestion:

Rather than issue a terse comment, it would be more constructive if you would answer some the questions implied on the topic "change of modding".

I expect that you might way that you've already answered that question, but I've searched for it and I can't find it.

I'm not sure that deleting a topic is the best way to communicate - it's just creating confusion. If you tell me your preferred way to ask these questions then I'll do it your way, but at the moment I'm just perplexed.

MOD 2 - I'm not trying to argue, just to understand.

MOD 2

ok i will answer yet again

I DID NOT LOCK THE POST'S in general chat so i will not comment

well obviously you dont want to keep you members here. and i noticed how my other threads in chat soon dissapered.

Due to the changes in general chat, the guidelines for what is allowed there are not reflected in the current set of rules this will change in due course. Generally if it's a sensible discussion then there shouldn't be a problem.

I take on board what you have said regarding the 'Don't comply? say goodbye', it wasnt meant as arrogant but in hind sight I can see how it could be interpreted so I have changed that bit.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back