Moderators. Don't you love 'em?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Perhaps surprisingly, there are people who get worked up about the leniency shown to rapists and sexual attackers, and the sympathy and understanding they receive.

For example (American case) this cheery fellow

18160502-7436027-image-a-25_1567788499226.jpg

served three months in jail after raping an unconscious woman in the street, having dragged her behind a skip. His supporters objected that prosecuting him damaged his promising career and progress as a succesful competitive swimmer for his college.

He appealed his conviction claiming he only wanted to have ‘sexual outercourse’ . Also widely circulated were comments by Mr Turner's father, who lamented the fact that his son’s future would be marred by “20 minutes of action out of his 20-plus years of life".

For some reason, people who sympathise with victims of rape get quite prickly over apportionment of responsibility for the crime.

I can only suppose that the website had some moderators whose instincts are to side with the victims rather than the perpetrators. Perhaps this affected their judgement

Sponsored Links
I think there are not many people who would attempt to argue "you can't blame the sniper, it's the fault of the people who walked down the street."
No one is saying that. Exposing yourself to danger for principles is stupid.

It's an argument often used by the "she was asking for it" people.
Seems like a bit of sensible advice to me.the sort parents would say etc...millions miles from the " asking for it "" brigade type argument.

so you might think, but it's an argument often used by the "she was asking for it" people.

Not on this forum obviously ;) but on other forums mods can be OTT.

I used to be a member of another forum (not diy related) and in the general section someone had posted a topic about predominantly women being attacked in the street. I posted something about it being sensible for girls/women to avoid where possible walking from a to b alone in the evening/at night. I was surprised when I next logged on to discover I'd received a temporary ban as 'victim blaming' was not allowed. Slightly bemused, I messaged the mods (taking care not to go off on one as I enjoyed the forum and didn't want a ban) saying the last thing I intended to do was victim blame. However, although women or men shouldn't have to do it, the point I was making is where possible, walking from a to b alone at night is best avoided to ensures ones safety.

No response from the mods, I was banned.
I got permanently banned from a forum I’d just joined for questioning a poster's understanding of the term 'money laundering' (he said buying a watch abroad duty free and bringing it home was money laundering). He was a moderator and he banned me for 'spamming'! Same as you, no reply from any other moderators. Bloody Yanks!

I`ve just been allowed back after an enforced holiday from a forum because I asked a mod a difficult Q. Didn`t even know about my holiday untill I tried to post again. Prickly sod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links