Modern plastering - skimping

Years ago Micilin,when I was serving my time,it was common practice to use three coats to finish walls and ceilings.After the floating coat had been put on and gone off,normally the day after,we would set (finish) the the walls with 3 coats of siraphite and lime.The first applied with a finishing trowel,second with a yellow pine finishing float,and third with a finishing trowel again.All angles in the corners of walls, beams, along ceiling lines, window reveals etc, were rubbed using a cross grain float and a water brush.The cross grain float is another tool you don't use today.Plastering is a pale shadow of what it was.Thankfully, as you said,there are still a lot of good, real plasterers out there.Plasterers who can do a lot more than just skim over walls,and that's not real plastering.

Roughcaster.

I served my time with my father and others . He taught me to lay down with a float. Did you use parana pine floats? Siraphite was great for putting on the top of a house, it came back lovely when you trowelled it.

The later bagged British Gypsum Sirapite b stopped in 1989? ish? when Multi came out IIRC.

I still insist that a heavy coat of finish between beads is floated, I float all the lines in the likes o Dormer attics. I would float walls where I know downlighters are going to be fitted -that kind of thing. No harm to pull a float on internal angles either, and I invariablly float the reveals, especially with the heavier catnic thin coat angle beads.

Even a good sponge float can do the trick if used at the right time.

I also get any apprentices to be able to lay down with tthe float and float up finish, but to be honest, it is not needed in day to day plastering of houses and they probably roll their eyes behind my back when I go into "when I were a lad" mode.

I think the trade is splitting up , moving away from a more rounded trade. I even hear agents looking for "Skimmers" as opposed to plasterers. I know lads who refuse to do any floating, and indeed can't, but make great money skimming week in week out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back