Modern plumbing fittings.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Have they completely gone to ****?

Every joint I'm making with compression fittings deems to weep.

Never had an issue over the years before tbh. I've tried different pipe but no better.

Garbage.

Sponsored Links
I found the brass olives causing probs sometimes, I buy a bag of 100 copper olives now and swap out the brass on the rare occasions compression needs to be used.

I found the brass olives causing probs sometimes, I buy a bag of 100 copper olives now and swap out the brass on the rare occasions compression needs to be used.
I took your advice and redid the weeping joins with copper olives.
I was thinking perhaps i had a bad bag off olives and so far, looks good.

Why copper vs brass? Is one better for copper/pex or something?

Sponsored Links
Either your not doing it right or your just buying cheap ones online.
Ha. Probs. Both.

Used some copper olives supplied in a box of rad valves i had. Seems better.
Also took much more care with the burrs and joints.
So far so good.

Copper's softer so takes to the gap and shapes to the fluted mating surfaces of the coupler easier.

It's not the nut end of the fitting that's the trouble as that has turning force that meshes the end of the olive to the mating surface, it's the body of the fitting end as there's no turning force on that side of the fitting to shape the olive to the mating surface. There's more give in copper and it's doesn't need as hard a turn

Brass always used to have to go to the squeak tight point but even that doesn't seem to work 100% of the time now I find and if I only have brass then it gets a turn of gas PTFE, maybe they've changed the content of the brass these days and it's harder.

Always use copper on plastic/PEX too.

Have they completely gone to ****?

Every joint I'm making with compression fittings deems to weep.

Never had an issue over the years before tbh. I've tried different pipe but no better.

Garbage.
I use a bit of Fernox LS-X sealant on the olive, never had a leak yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back