modern replacement for a gate valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being a humble DIY fiddler I have wrestled with a few gate valves in me time only to find that when you attempt to turn 'em off................you are taking your life in your hands, if you are lucky, they continue dribble/let through, if you ain't, they're seized and your best efforts only succeed in snapping their heads off, making it compulsory to shout your own arsenal of favourite theraputic expletives! They may be great in the short term but useless in the long term. Is there a modern version of these that actually will work 10+ years down the line?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid the only way to make these things last is to go out of your way to turn them at least once a year, if not once a month.

In a lot of cases, gate valves general stick due to sludge in the heating system but it is literally just years of neglect.

I use a product called "crack it" and that seems to help with the really bad ones.

p1086174_x.jpg

full bore ball valve :idea:

Good one again Kev............................will I need to give this a fiddle once a year or is it such a rootin-tootin piece of 21st centuary, space age, computer designed, joy that it can be left alone and still be relied on to work faultlessly in a decade's time?

Sponsored Links
You'll be lucky!

Good piece of kit, well done kev!

they can be a bit expensive though in the bigger sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back