Modern stud wall townhouse - cabling power and tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First forum post and a quick search is not yielding what i specifically need.

New build three storey town house - circa five years old. All stud walls throughout.

The previous owner neglected to install TV antennas into the bedroom on the middle floor - i'd like to mount a TV in the middle of the wall for when we have guests staying so they don't feel the need to have to stay in the lounge - my parents tend to visit for a couple of weeks.

The wall in the bedroom that i would like to install the TV onto has no power onto it either. The wall also backs onto the bathroom.

How would I look to run power and a TV connection (plus maybe cat5 LAN cable) to the middle of the wall to mount the TV?

Similarly as an FYI - I would like to do exactly the same thing on the floor above in two bedrooms with the same issue. However the walls are not aligned - i.e. one bedroom above is bigger than the one below.

Thanks, Matt

Sponsored Links
When doing a wiring job you need to PLAN.

First of all, how do I get a cable from here to there??

So you first of all need to think about:
1: the TV aerial connection. where will the TV feed come from? a dish, a splitter amplifier? a SKY multi room system?
2: "maybe" LAN cable….from where, you have router somewhere?. Is there a central point this needs to go to (PS why not CAT6?)
3: power will need to come from a nearby socket (to extend the ring) or run a new feed from the consumer unit if it is nearby.

SO now you have your start and end points. All you have to do is to run the cables from A > B. There are no conduits run in most houses so cables will be in the floor, across ceilings and up or down stud walls.
Note that all ceilings, wall and stud walls will have lots of timber in them to navigate. Also they will be stuffed with acoustic insulation material which will a) make cables difficult to run and b) will have an affect on how much current the power cables can carry. So you may need bigger cables than the ones that your cable selection process would suggest.

Cables can only be run in certain places. The WIKI section on installation techniques will give you a guide
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Installation-Techniques

So, you will probably need to pull up carpets, floor coverings and chop the floor itself. Maybe cut into the ceilings. Also carve out access holes in the stud walls.
Run the cables, test and then make good, replaster, paint etc.

I am not being negative, just realistic.
I hope aren't thinking this could all be done for this Christmas! :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back