Modernisation/Renovation Project Advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will probably be a bit of a ramble so I apologise in advance...

I have seen a very nice cottage for sale in the location I wish to move to in the near future. I have had a drive past the place and location is super BUT in the sellers ad it says full modernistaion is needed! I am unable to get a viewing untill after Christmas as the agent is now closed and owner is out of the country.

So in the meantime I am trying to get my head around the project I may take on!

I really have no background in this BUT From my rough guessing the only thing which can stay will be exterior walls and therefore I would plan on completely stripping the place out and adding/doing;

New Roof (approx 1000sq ft floor space?)
insulate walls
dampcoursing
complete re-wire
replumb
full new heating system (underfloor? also want a wood burner...)
new floors
10 new windows
2 new doors
replaster every room
new bathroom
new kitchen
decorating

Can anyone advise on rough figures for the bigger parts of this? For example a complete new roof from scratch? How much for the re-wire? Is there a rule of thumb like £x per sq m? I plan to do most of the labour myself but use contractors for more complex aspects!

I know its like how long is a piece of string but ANY feedback or advice would really help!

Will

Sponsored Links
You may be better off dividing the jobs and entering the requests in the appropriate forum, e.g new roof in roofing, etc.
But you'll also need to supple more info', e.g:
roof - slate or tile, new timber required?
Bathroom - finish? furniture or even add a budget
Kithchen - ditto.
Floors - current construction - future requirement? size, etc.
Walls - current construction? (dificult without access I know)
Windows - style, material etc.
Replumb, incl underfloor heating? future boiler options, etc.

If you want to do some basic preparation yourself, you can buy books which will tell you the approx costs for doing differnt things, like how much a window of a certain -type will cost etc or 1 m2 of roof in different finishes or plastering a wall per m2 etc.

The only one I have used is "The Housebuilder's Bible" by Mark Brinkley, which is not ideal as it deals with new-build only ( or at least it did when I bought my copy) and renovation is signifantly more expensive than new-build.

If you look on Amazon there are numerous other books which are similar.

If you are serious, it would probably be a good investment of pnds 20 or so and give you something to do over Xmas :LOL:

It may only need modernising and just bringing up current standards.
Sounds like you doing a fully on it.
I'd get inside and find out and make plans from then, but do give it good look over, cellar, loft, roof, pointing, render, windows, plaster, floors, DPC, insulation etc...
It will reflect on the price you should be offering.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the useful insights guys. I will be getting a book or 2 over the holidays to have a read through-will have a look at the bible you mentioned!

PrenticeBoy-the details I have, although minimal suggest its a full overhaul job!

If that the case, remember it's okay reading books and learning how do things, won't knock you for that, but some work will involve building regulations being complied to and if you DIY such stuff as the electrics, notification will be needed and a fee payable.
So I'd work out all the jobs that do need to be notified and the cost that the work would total, if done by a pro and lump it all on to one application, this will keep the cost down on application fees, providing you DIY all that work.
Here's a link to the laws regarding electrics, not putting you off, just pointing it out. good luck with it, hope you get the property for the right price and enjoy the project, I've just finished one today, just in time for the festive period and it's a wonderful feeling. :D
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

You also mention having a wood burner. I know they are really popular at the moment but consider the actual running costs. Unless you can get hold of large quantities of wood for free, it won't save you any money.

I've just worked out the running cost of ours against the gas saving. We only just break even. Details here

It could cost around £2000 to buy and install. So if you're wanting to cut some costs on the refit, knock the wood burner of the list.

if you can give me more info I would be happy to give you a rough quote for the cost you will be paying out I have been in the property refurbisment for over 40 years and run a small family property maintenance company a straight up and over roof with new battons and felt one stack flashings would be around £2500 ,depending on the electric sockets and fittings for a 3 bed would be around £3000 ,re plumbing from mains to kitchen and bathroom would be around £1000 and depending on your bathroom fittings around £900 to £1500 cen\heating depending on type from £2000 to £4000, but like I said if you can give me more info I would beable to let you know better good luck in getting your house

I'd go and chat with local building control and planning. They should be able to give you some idea of what you can do and what you must do. For instance, ask about wall insulation because replastering all walls might trigger a regulation in Part L.

Isn't it time these threads were time limited and locked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back