Bathroom Renovation & Building Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, Im sorry if its not.

Im looking for some advice and guidance of a bathroom renovation project im just about to start.

I own a 1890s 2 bed cottage with a 1960s flat roof extension to the rear, this extension houses the bathroom and a storage room that is accessed from the garden.

My plan is to knock down the non-load bearing dividing wall between the bathroom and storage room, block up the external doorway to the storage room.

I then plan to relocate the bathroom items into the storage end of the new room, this will involve some under ground drainage work for the new toilet waste, adding new plastic waste to the existing drain etc.

I will then build a new stud and plasterboard wall sectioning off the new bathroom and creating a new utility room, in place of the old bathroom.

Within the utility room I want to add a new external door that opens out into my garden, providing a back door as the property currently doesn't have one.

I have spoken briefly with my local council in regards to building regulations approval, they have advised a fee of £120 to inspect the new waste drainage system.

Does this sound correct? I have been advised that once I came to sell the property in a couple of years I could offer an indemnity policy to cover any missing building regulations?

On this note last year we had electric wet central heating installed in the property i was unaware at the time we required building regs for this, can i apply retrospectively to cover the installation of the central heating?

Sorry for the very long message but Im hoping all this makes sense and somebody can provide me some advice on this subject.

Look forward to all your replies :D

Sponsored Links
(Just working my head through building regs for our own renovation work, but anyways...) if it is only 120 at stake, it might be well worth getting building regs approval while the work is open and available to be inspected. Have they asked for drawings or a description of what work will be done and okay'ed it? Asking because you don't want them to come on site and not like what the builder (or you) have done and ask it to be redone another way...
Good luck! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back