Moderns or mendips (or something else)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
I’ve got a lean to roof to do on my extension sometime this year, pitch is about 20degrees with 3 veluxs. The only tiles I’ve had any dealings with for lower pitches are Marley moderns and mendips, out of the 2 I prefer the moderns. I’ve seen leaky veluxs around moderns but hopefully if I take my time and get it right (ie ask loads of questions on here (y)) I’ll avoid that.
Anyway my point being just wondered if anyone’s got any tips on one or the other, or any other suggestions. I’m not too bothered about what it looks like from the outside as it’s round the back (main roof is anglia which I’ll happily avoid)
Cheers for any advice as always

Sponsored Links
Mendips will afford you a better working platform - they will be stronger and less likely to misbehave whilst you are inevitably working upon them.

Thanks guys
May well be mendips then, I reckon my weak spot will be the veluxs due to my general lack of experience but I know I need to take my time and get it right
Then again with the apparent roof tile shortage the choice may be made for me!:D

Sponsored Links
i think marleys are coming back online in this area anyway.
the velux really are nothing to worry about.. like painting by numbers

the velux really are nothing to worry about.. like painting by numbers

Yeah hopefully, but there do seem a lot of posts on here about leaky veluxs on low pitch roofs. But with advice from people like you I’m confident I can do it

Im in the same position as you as in I have a low pitch extension roof at 18Degrees to be built with 3 Roof windows and the tiles I was recommended were Mendips or Moderns. When I spoke with a local Builder he suggested Sandtoft 20/20 low pitch roof tiles which would be fine as they go down to 15Degrees they don't seem to badly priced either def worth a look.

I prefer to use a Redland regent on lower pitched roofs and give it at least a 4 inch lap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back