Modification to Existing Ring 2 Parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, id like to get your thoughts on the following:
I was asked to extend a downstairs ring today by adding a couple of sockets in a dining room, no problems breaking into the ring and adding the required sockets, however, I noticed that the conservatory had 4 dbl sockets, FCU for Air con (3KW), and FCU for a pair of wall lights all run in 2.5 T&E from a spur off one of the sockets i was going to adapt. :eek: .
Also no RCD on ring (re-wirable fuse).

I have advised this is not good, and needs to be altered, but the client was convinced I was after more work. I could just walk away, but I thought id seek your advice and hopefully some other suggestions to what remedial action could be taken- Any thoughts :?:

Sponsored Links
Aw what a let down, I though you were talking about some new unusual cosmetic surgery :LOL:

Ow! I shall now limp off to bed!

Stand your ground.

Explain that you only work to 7671.

Tell them that you have no doubt that there will be someone willing to botch up an already botched-up circuit, and do a minimum of work for a lesser fee, but that you are not that person.

Tell them they are free to contact another (professional) electrician for confimation of your assessment, and leave them a written estimate for the cost of rectification, thus leaving it open for them to contact you if they wish.

That's all you can do.

DON'T lower your standards, though.

Sponsored Links
Tricky one - contravening the IEE regs is not unlawful, and even after Jan 05 there will be no requirement to bring all existing regs up to spec, and before then you are under no legal obligation to only work to BS7671.

An unintended side effect of Part P will be that people like these, suspicious of make-work tradesmen will be more likely, not less, to employ cowboys.

Can't you get them to stump up for an FCU on that spur? You don't need to tell them that the fuse will likely blow quite often, and you'll at least have made it safe.

Whilst still on friendly terms, see if you can find out who their insurer is.

If they won't go for it, and if you can afford to not get paid, do not extend the ring and disconnect the spur. After you've left write them a letter telling them exactly what was wrong, quoting the regs, and tell them that although the wiring regs do not yet have the force of law, they will do in January 05, and that on Jan 1st 2005 you will write to the local Building Control dept to inform them of a dangerous installation, and that in the meantime you will also be writing to their insurer to tell them about it.

You'll never work again in their road, but you might scare them into getting it made safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back