modifying a kitchen base unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I recently ordered some Sheraton kitchen units and got one spec wrong. They won't exchange - watch out for this one - so I am seriously contemplating modifying a 600 base unit to make it into a 500. I think the Shaker door will be do-able if I cut down the vertical join then chop the width out but I would appreciate any tips on how to prise the carcass itself apart in order to reduce the width( I don't think it is glued). I don't want to cut it apart as I fear there is more risk of disfiguring that way. My latest idea is to try and do it from the inside by almost filling the void with some stout lengths of wood and then inserting a scissor jack or two. Any advice ? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
possible for a man/woman with all the right tools but not easy!!!

buy another unit of the correct size or

try shuffling around to try and move the 4" somewhere else!!!!

Bite the bullet and order a new unit. :cry:

Unless you have workshop conditions any alterations will look terrible IMHO

Sheraton operate through a network of retailers/agents who you give your order to and they then order it from Omega (the parent company) and it then is despatched either to your agent or direct to you. They will not exchange goods unless there is a fault and then will only exchange like for like. Very inflexible and unhelpful, we've had your money now sod off attitude.

Thanks for steering me down the sensible path guys. I probably will end up buying a new unit but as the one I have is useless to me I may not be able to resist having a go at converting it anyway!!!!!!!
;)
so I'm still in the market for some tips

Sponsored Links
You might do better to ebay it , you never know someone might just need that unit :cool:

The biggest stumbling block will be converting the door if you go down the alteration route. It will all end in tears I'm afraid :LOL:

It would be safer to cut the unit up, you are going to cut 100mm out of it anyway so cut it down in the area you are going to chuck away. If you cut about 2" away from a side you can then break away the remaining 2" a bit at a time to avoid damaging the side panel. You then need to be able to fix it back together. As you say you have nothing to lose by trying.

Door is the biggest issue - will they supply a door on its own? But then that will be most of the cost of the unit.

I think you are about right there IJ, I'll cut the unit carefully as you suggest and possibly try and chat a local (proper) joiner into doing the door cheaply. As mentioned it is a Shaker style and in essence will only involve a couple straight vertical cuts - as long as the panel drops out nice and easy. Thanks again for all the comments, they were all appreciated. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back