Modifying MDPE supply to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have exposed the drains and 25mm MDPE supply pipe at the side of my house to track down a source of damp. The MDPE has been run under the plastic inspection chamber which has been set on concrete. There is a join in the pipe which looks like may well be under the inspection chamber.

Due to the section pipe being hidden by concrete and being unable to check the join, as a precaution, I'm thinking of cutting the pipe either side of the inspection chamber and adding a new length of pipe with 2 compression fittings.

Is there any chance that adding an additional join and fitting will affect pressure?

While I am at it, I was thinking of maybe using a T fitting instead of one of the join fittings, to run a branch off the main run of MDPE, to my garage which is about 20 metres away. This is for an outside tap.

Is there any down side to this plan? I'm just wary of creating any pressure drop as I have a combi boiler.

Cheers, Andy

Sponsored Links
Should be fine. Use Philmac or Plasson fittings, don't forget the inserts, and make sure you keep the pipe below 750mm depth from the surface to prevent freezing. Only issue may be if you have an internal water meter, you may find that you irritate the water supplier somewhat if you're found to have bypassed the meter.

A second vote for the Philmac fittings, they're excellent, and I've used most types.

It won't affect pressure or flow much (the inserts narrow the pipe a bit so will affect flow a nadge, but doubt you'll notice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back