Modulating boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
I have a valiant modulating boiler with smart controls and I want to make sure I have set it up correctly, as even though I have set the central heating flow temp to 65c it only shows like an average of 44c when in use, and seems to take ages to raise the room temps just 2 degrees and the rads are luke warm at best.
Is this just how modulating boilers work to save energy or do I need to raise my flow temp to max to speed it up a bit?
Kind regards

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, you can set the maximum temperature of the water as well as the maximum output. Well, I can on my Vaillant boiler. I have an 18Kw boiler set to a maximum of 15kw with the temperature set to 63°. At 63° you couldn’t hold your hand on the pipes or rad for long. A 65° temperature would be reached quicker with the boiler output set at 18Kw compared to say, 10kw. I think the modulating part of it only modulates the maximum output so it will initially heat the water at its maximum set output and then as the water gets warmer, it will gradually modulate the output down, but not the temperature. At least, that’s what my one does although I don’t have any smart or Vaillant controls. Do you know what your maximum output is set to?

I'm no heating engineer so I could of course be talking out of my arse!

Last edited:
Where would I find the maximum output setting any idea? On the boiler itself there is only hot water and central heating adjustments?

What boiler is it? Mine is an EcoTEC plus 418. Look in your instruction manual - on mine I have to enter the settings, go into engineer mode and scroll through the settings until I get to the 'heating partial load ' settings. I can then adjust the output.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back