Moffat gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Moffat gas hob. It lights ok and all 4 burners work as they should when they are switched on full, but when the burners are lowered, the flame goes out. I have noticed if you turn the burners down really slowly, they will reduce the flame and it does stay lit but if you turn them down as you would during normal use, the flame extinguishes.

Can anyone suggest what the problem(s) might be and what can be done to fix it. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the flame retention ports on the burners may be blocked. Try taking the burners off and giving them a good clean. It could also be low gas pressure but you'll need a RGI to check this.

Thanks swbjackson,

I've removed the pan supports and then taking each of the 4 burners individually, I've taken the two parts off each which are removeable ie the burner cap and the burner crown which has the slotted holes all around it. I've soaked these in soapy water as per the manufacturers instructions and given them all a good clean. Are these the components which you refer to as 'flame retention ports' or do you mean something else?

The ignition cradle (which houses the jet) which the burner crown sits on top of, is screwed to the top of the hob and I am assuming that I cannot unscrew these and remove them to examine/clean them?

I have looked at each of the jets and the small hole in the top of each does not appear to be blocked but, I cannot tell if there is any debris inside the hole as they are too small. Could these possibly be either blocked or partially impaired, thus reducing the gas flow and causing the problem with the burner extinguishing when it is at a low level. As I said above, the burners seem to work fine when they are on full and I do not want to start fiddling around with the jets if these are not the route of the problem.

The control taps on some hobs have low rate adjustment and it may be this that is the problem. Needs a pro to do the work. How old is the hob?

Sponsored Links
The control taps on some hobs have low rate adjustment and it may be this that is the problem. Needs a pro to do the work. How old is the hob?

The manual says there are adjustment screws for each of the control taps, accessed by removing the control knob. I've taken these off but there are definately no adjustment screws on or near the taps.

The hob was in the house when I bought it about 4 years ago and it didn't look that old then but I cannot be certain how old it actually is.

The manual says there are adjustment screws for each of the control taps, accessed by removing the control knob. I've taken these off but there are definately no adjustment screws on or near the taps.

The hob was in the house when I bought it about 4 years ago and it didn't look that old then but I cannot be certain how old it actually is.

Moffat hob

Used t o have one in my house but that was installed in the mid 80's

Not sure they even exist now

Like I said Mr M, the area of work is not for diy advice. Sorry forum rules prevent this.

Like I said Mr M, the area of work is not for diy advice. Sorry forum rules prevent this.

I appreciate that and understand that there are certain works which I cannot carry-out. I was just after some views from those in the know on the likely cause of the problem which I have described, particularly if anyone has encountered a similar problem previously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back