moisture and mould resistant board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post in tiling so take it easy please. I am about to start tiling my bathroom and around the bath/shower I have used this 12mm 1200x800 moisture resistant board. My question is do I need to prime this first, with say p.v.a or not. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Welcome :)

do you mean the green plasterboard? sounds like it...assuming this is the case then you should really tank it in the wet areas using something like BAL wp1 or one of the many tanking kits available -such as this http://www.tradepricetiles.co.uk/shower-tight-tanking-kit.html. Many prefer a tanking membrane but i feel this liquid ones are easier for a diy'r

The reason for this is that water us very likely to get through the tiles and if it does even the moisture resistant board turns to mush. Waterproof adhesive\grout doesnt prevent water ingress, it just doesnt fall to bits when brought into contact with water.

primer wise - never ever use PVA - its old hat and many newer adhesives react with it. get some quality adhesive from bal, granfix etc (not from the big diy sheds). Most of them specify an acrylic primer, or some such as granfix multifix are self priming.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the green stuff but still looks grey to me. :rolleyes: I have got dunlop floor and wall adhesive set fast plus, I hope this is compatible, and how long have I to wait after tanking. I have already put p.v.a on one wall without the moisture boards :oops: a friend told me to do it as he has done some tiling before being a plumber.

If its grey then it's just normal p/board.....So you will defo need to tank it

As tpt said the paint on stuff...then wait 24/36hrs...
Or
Use a wall membrane(just like hanging wallpaper)...and you can tile straight away...

Sponsored Links
Thanks, it is definatly not ordinary plaster board as I have put plenty of that up, and it says on the board moisture&mould resistant but it is not green, anyway I am going to tank it thanks

I went to get another board today and it was a new pallet and it says on the side tile backer board. is it possible to tank this area out using fibre glass or not as I have plenty of that. cheers

if its really tile backer board then you dont need to tank. what brand is it, how thick is it and is it the same grey asbestos like material all the way through?

perhaps a photo?

It is 12mm thick and yes it is grey all the way through, not sure of the make but I have applied the first of two coats of PCI LASTOGUM X tanking system, so it maybe a bit over kill.

If you’re using a powder adhesive & have any plaster/plasterboard (untanked) you should acrylic prime to prevent a reaction between cement in the adhesive & gypsum plaster products. Never use standard PVA as tile primer, it remains water solvent & will re-activate if water gets at it, this will result in your tiles falling off in a wet area!

What type/size/weight are your tiles?

Sorry mate, if your tiles are 12mm thick then you’re stuffed if your thinking of hanging them onto plaster, you need to rewind & think either additional prep or lighter tiles. They are going to weigh in at anything between 25kg/sqm for basic ceramic to 40 kg/sqm for natural stone & your going to need a better tile base!

To confirm, look on the box, sometimes the wt/sqm is on there; if not weigh one & I’ll tell you how much they weigh.

The wall was plasterboard and I overboarded with tile backer which was sica mastic and screwed with 70mm screws it feels solid now, but you may have a point, I have just picked a box up and I would say it weighs 25kg a bag of sand ish. By the way there are only eight tiles in a box, and what do you mean by tile base.

Sorry I came to this late & seem to have got a little confused :rolleyes: . I thought you had a plasterboard/plaster finish but on re-reading, am not sure what you have. You will be OK with tile backer board or even plasterboard but which boards are they? Sica mastic I’ve never heard of!

and what do you mean by tile base.
The tile base is what you’re attempting to stick the tiles onto & if it is gypsum plasterboard, you need to acrylic prime when using cement based adhesive; use flexible addy only over boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back