Moisture barrier for concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete slab which goes from the outside world to the inside of my house. Is there a risk that it will suck in moisture and damage the tiling I will install? if so what sealant can I put that will also hold the tile glue?

concreteslabos2.jpg
[/URL]
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I don't really like the look of that, however it's there and your stuck with it.
I would make sure the concrete slab is sealed really well outside so it can't get wet, even to covering it with some right angle rigid plastic.(of perhaps paint it)
The tiles inside, if you're using thick ones they can be laid on a strong concrete mix, you can even add Medusa waterproofing powder or similar if you wish

this area may be subject to a lot of black mould growth as a result of condensation, due to the cold bridging effect.

probably.

Sponsored Links
this area may be subject to a lot of black mould growth as a result of condensation, due to the cold bridging effect.

probably.

There are underfloor heating pipes near to it. That may be some kind of saving grace

I have a concrete slab which goes from the outside world to the inside of my house. Is there a risk that it will suck in moisture and damage the tiling I will install? if so what sealant can I put that will also hold the tile glue?

concreteslabos2.jpg
[/URL]
[/img]

I would maybe put an angled mortar fillet between the edge of the window frame and the leading edge of the concrete and let this go off. Then get some angled (135 degree) pvc strip and bond one face to the face of the mortar with silicone and let the other face run down the face of the concrete but leave a gap between the face of the concrete and the back edge of the pvc by putting in some temporary spacers. This would not bridge the existing DPC which you have shown and the pvc would act as a a drip to disperse any water. Seal the pvc against the window and at the edges with silicone.

Mr M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back