Moisture board, bonding agent and scrim tape.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I'm preparing to skim some moisture board and am going to use a bonding agent. Do I tape the joints before or after the bonding agent? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean you are going to use bonding agent then skim? Just treat the boards like plaster boards and put some skim on the joints then bed the tape in and another thin skim of plaster and skim as normal. If you leave the scrimmed joints to dry out then put either some sbr over them before you skim or some pva and skim as normal..

What do you mean you are going to use bonding agent then skim? Just treat the boards like plaster boards and put some skim on the joints then bed the tape in and another thin skim of plaster and skim as normal. If you leave the scrimmed joints to dry out then put either some sbr over them before you skim or some pva and skim as normal..
Roy Mr boards should be treated with a bonding agent before skimming, because of the Mr qualities a key has to be given , to the OP tape it before skimming , if you do it after the aggregate in the bonding agent will make taping a lot harder

Well done Steve for spotting my deliberate mistake...:love: lt must be an age thing. I am sure l have skimmed on it before with no problems...Just read the pdf your right steve. So DONT skim on these boards without prepping them first...(y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well done Steve for spotting my deliberate mistake...:love: lt must be an age thing. I am sure l have skimmed on it before with no problems...Just read the pdf your right steve. So DONT skim on these boards without prepping them first...(y)
Lol I remember a site in sheerness there was huge areas of Mr boards and they wanted me to skim straight on them I told them they should be primed first and they wouldn't have it they even showed me the spec sheets I told them they are making a mistake so they checked up on what I was saying 2 days later about 20 tubs of bondit turned up, but there was some green spreads on site and they started skimming about 50m2 without primer and they wondered why it took so long to go off, I also remember that the distinguishedplasterer was with me and he told me he once skimmed a ceiling with Mr boards without priming and it all fell off, I may be wrong but because it's "Mr" the paper don't react with the skim there is no suction it is repelling the skim it takes longer to go off and is harder to trowel up and it isn't really bonded to the paper

Thanks all. I taped after the bonding agent. Some didn't adhere too well but all ok with a bit of mud on it. I used the Wickes bonding agent. Seems to work really well. Was a bit worried about picking up on the trowel with the grit but it's going well so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back