Moisture in loft and OsmaVent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

This last few months we've noticed a musty smell in the loft and pretty much all of the roof membrane (if that's what you call it) has little condensation drops on it.

Not sure what is causing this as it's never happened for the previous 9 years but I will be double checking extractor vents e.t.c.

Today though I noticed a particular wet patch on the floor (insulation and board) which surrounds the OsmaVent 110 4S304 and some of the vent looks discoloured.

What does this mean, and how do I deal with it? Could this also be the source of the condensation issue or is that a different player?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Membrane.jpeg
    Membrane.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 192
  • OsmaVent 110 4S304.jpeg
    OsmaVent 110 4S304.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 206
Sponsored Links
The Osma part is an air admittance valve (AAV), should o exactly as it says on the tin and let air in, but not out. Possible its stuck open and is allowing steam/vapour out into the loftspace which is then condensing and going towards causing your issue, but I wouldnt say its entirely at fault, (and that is assuming it has stuck open.) I would check for any other possible issues and also make sure there is adequate ventilation in the eaves, and insulation isnt blocking any soffit vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back