moisture resistant drywall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am removing a stud wall and putting up a new one in a slightly new location. It will separate the kitchen and bathroom. I was advised to use moisture resistant drywall for this.

I have not dealt with this before so can anyone guide me. I looked in B&Q to get a look at it but they don't seem to stock it.

I want to tile the bathroom side and maybe some of the kitchen side. I was told you can tile straight on to it, is this ok?

Can you buy it like ordinary plasterboard ie different size sheets and different thicknesses? And what about square edge or taper edge, do they do both? I expect I should use square edge if I am tiling, is this right?

Can you only just buy it from a proper building material suppliers or do they have to order it? Any guide on price please would help?

Anything else odd, about it I should be aware of so I don't muck it up? I take it you put it up as normal plasterboard?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can get something called aquapanel which is cement board and designed for use in bathrooms. Try googling it, I think knauf manufacture the stuff.

AndersonC said:
You can get something called aquapanel which is cement board and designed for use in bathrooms. Try googling it, I think knauf manufacture the stuff.

Yes I think I have seen that in B&Q but don't know much about it. Can anybody tell me anything about it, ie would you use that or moisture resistant drywall? Which is better and why?

Any info appreciated.

aquapanel or cementboard is mainly for areas such as shower cubicals that see a lot of water,its expensive too,if its not in a wet environment id stick to the standard stuff if its getting a skim afterwards,if its in a shower then yes,use it

Sponsored Links
Are you going to hang anything heavy off the wall, ie cupboards in the kitchen etc.

If so solid concrete block wall, 4 inch or 6 inch with normal plaster boards and board adhesive, skim with board finish or multi finish and tile all in bathroom (wall paper is no good), tile, paint or wall paper in the kitchen.

B&Q, focus and homebase are poorly stocked in terms of plasterboard and aquapanel, the shelves are always empty.
Wickes always have it in.

Its £12.98 for 1200x900 which is a lot more expensive than standard plasterboard at about £3.
Wickes also do a thermal aquapanel.

The plasterboard was fine when I removed the tiles from the walls in our bathroom where we have a shower over the bath.
However they'd use normal plasterboard in our shower and it got damp.
I'm just re-building our shower recess entirely of aquapanel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back