Drywall and fill finish or Drywall and skim?

Cost is a major consideration for us, this extension is approx 56m/sq. A big area to cover. Some walls will have to be plasterboard, for example the existing garage external walls and above will continue to be brick outside and block inside and no cavity. I have to batten the walls and install polyurethane insulation before the final plasterboard. Rendering this is not an option. Ceilings and partition walls on the 1st floor will also have to be plasterboard.

To be honest, even though a render and skim may be the beter way to do it I would not be prepared to pay a few thousand pounds more for it. We are having to stretch ourselves to build this in the first place. This is why I will be doing so much of the internal work myself.

My choice us really between just plasterboard or to skim the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Just the p/board then and DIY the taping + filling ;) have a look @ British Gypsum or Knauf sites :idea:/.......Richard .last time I was in Norfolk was 20 year ago :LOL: It`s my ancestral home and the family have been in Sussex for 100 years now.....I now wish I`d moved back when we came up and had a look @ the ancestors graves.....but then they moved here cuz the work/climate was C-rap up there in 1900 :rolleyes: ..things were a lot cheaper up there on my last visit....I`m getting totally peed off with the Crowding down here :evil:

My original plan was to DIY all of it, however my Builder suggested taling to the local drylining company as he said they could do it cheaper than I could just get the board!

Should have a quote by the weekend so I'll update this post then.

Nige F said:
I`m getting totally peed off with the Crowding down here :evil:
It's why we moved here from Essex 2 1/2 years ago but we have had both family & friends here for donkey's years so know the area well; & strangers actually talk to you, something I wasn’t used to at all! Initial reaction was hand on the wallet & “what’s he after” – sad really!

It’s beautiful here & where I’ve always really wanted to live but it’s nothing like as cheap as it was only a few years ago. The worrying aspect is that Prescot now wants to build up to 75,000 new homes in East Anglia but, hopefully, I’ll be long gone by the time it gets as bad as wher we lived before!

Sponsored Links
I always wondered how long a Donkey's year is ?

Or does it mean they have such a boring life that a normal year seems MUCH longer..

It could be a pun on the fact that donkeys have long EARS and it got changed to years.

I need to get out more i think :cry:

Richard C, thanks for your reply above (sorry I didn't acknowledge sooner, but I forgot about this thread).

I bought a 3 hour DVD showing everything about skimming over plasterboard. Can't really call it plastering I suppose because, personally I consider plastering (true and skilled plastering) the old traditional method of scratch and skim which seems to be obsolete in newer houses from what I have read above :(. Anyway, it's nice if you want a quick job done and it's good for the beginner (like me who's never skimmed a board before).

Should have a quote by the weekend so I'll update this post then.

Lets just hope they are more reliable than the firm that is supposed to be contacting me about soffit replacements ;).

you will find you can either do it or you can’t

I have faith that I have every faith in myself :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back