moisture resistant vs foil backed plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which one would be better? Moisture resistant or foil backed for the ceiling in the room below the loft?

Originally I was supposed to insulate in between joists with insulation, then thermal laminate, then foil backed plasterboard. Instead, the insulation in between the joists was moved in between the rafters followed by the thermal laminate.

That's good enough for the loft but I am not sure if I still need foil backed plasterboard for the ceiling below or will the moisture resistant one be good too?

In fact, what is the difference? Will I have any problems using a wrong plasterboard?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In fact, what is the difference? Will I have any problems using a wrong plasterboard?

As I understand it, foil backed is standard gypsum wallboard with a layer of foil on the outer side to prevent moisture finding its way back through.

Moisture resistant board is green in colour and has a slightly different makeup of the plaster to be resistant to moisture. Usual application for wet areas e.g. bathroom.

I'm not sure exactly where you've got your insulation layers etc, but I don't think either p/board is particularly suited to the application you're after.
Normally 12.5mm thick standard plasterboard is used for ceilings, with the loft space insulated.

You could use the boards you suggest - but not the right board for the job and will be more expensive than standard ones.
Also, if you do use MR board, the prep is different if you want to skim. Foil backed can be skimmed like normal board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back