MOLD Advice / Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Myself and my other half have just got are first house. We have been here since october 2012 and have some mold coming around the windows and on the celing above the windows. The worst area effected is are main Bedroom where its around the window frame and on the celing.
And a small box room that has no heating as its to small for a central heating rad i assume. Im mainly trying to find out how to remove the mold and how to prevent it from happening...

Here are some pictures to help first 4 are main bedroom and last photo is the small box room

Thanks all

bedroommold4_zps9c8b8ccd.jpg

bedroommold2_zpsbc7ff218.jpg

bedroommold1_zps7fc46f12.jpg

bedroommold3_zpse681df2d.jpg

boxroommold1_zpsbd35104f.jpg

Sponsored Links
Was the house empty for sometime before you bought/moved in to it?
Any leaking pipe work or leaky roof?
Mold spores can grow quite quickly once they have formed, so they need to be removed. Diluted bleach at about 10%-15% bleach to water, should do the trick. I would wash walls down with some soapy water, treat with bleach solution then wash down with clean water, then dry cloth.

house was only empty for a week, my gf cleaned all the windows and celings on the day we moved in so this has grown in 4 months really. I beleive its because the windows have no vents as they are upvc double glazed. Ill clean the mold off tomorrow. Are there any venterlation fans that can be installed to prevent this as i beleive its dute to poor venterlation rather than leaking items. although i will check for leaks.

I have noticed that all my windows suffer with condenstation every morning the windows have loads of water on them. now and again the upvc frame at the bottom has had enough water sitting at the bottom to fill half a pint... I was thinking of getting vents installed in the windows but dont see the point in cutting holes in windows that are double glazed and wondered if there was extraction methods with fans or anything thanks

Sponsored Links
How old are the windows, it could be that the seals have failed, if you are getting condensation on them and losing heat through the panes.
There are plenty of methods to gain ventilation and extract.
But if you are suffering heat loss, it maybe a case that the panes need replacing. Do you use the radiators to dry the washing?

How old are the windows, it could be that the seals have failed, if you are getting condensation on them and losing heat through the panes.
There are plenty of methods to gain ventilation and extract.
But if you are suffering heat loss, it maybe a case that the panes need replacing. Do you use the radiators to dry the washing?

I have a ticket to say the windows are nine years old now. How would i know if the seals have failed, i would say some off them lets cold in the edges especially in the bathroom. but box room and bedroom seem fine where the mold is growing. I dry my cloths on a horse rail in the spare room no mold in there though. What venterlation should i be looking to or methods to stop this mold. Am i right in saying that the mold is possibly due to the condensation on the windows. Thanks

i have also noticed that in the main bedroom where the mold is on the wall and celing that there is a small crack from the wall to celing and possible air from the loft coming through.. maybe this could be causing the mold as its possible that the mold is the other side of the wall. Worth a futher invest.

Hi there, I hate mold, you should see my house, ! my advice is to buy a hygrometer for 3 quid on ebay, it is digital and solar powered, it provides room temp, and humidity, stick it in the room you are trying to solve, if it is more than 50 percent humidity, then your answer is you are making are leaving to much humidity in that room, this moisture will condense on the cold parts of room, eg your window, it will run down glass to corner, then a little mould will grow, then the process repeats day after day, treat the cause not the symptoms, dehumidifiers will remove this moisture, but will not stop you producing it, breathing showering, cooking, kettles, drying clothes on radiators , you want to aim to get it down to 35 to 50 percent

You need to do the following;

Stop drying clothes on radiators.
Install an extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom.
Use the fans whilst cooking or showering.
Ventilate the house. Install retro fit trickle vents in the windows if you can. If not open the window each day.
Make sure the loft is insulated correctly to avoid cold spots on the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back