Mondeo 2002 2.0 petrol major engine issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am looking for some advice.

I have a 2002 ford mondeo 2.0. It was due for an oil change as the red oild light kept comming on.
I was driving home from work last Friday when a guy in front of me boke very suddenly, i hard to slam on the brake the brakes locked and i swerved to the side of the road,
luckly i was ok and i carried on driving, about 500 yards latr there was a rumbleing sound from the engine, i had to pull into the layby as the engine cut out.
I was not able to start the engine again and had to call out the RAC he thought it was the battery but i thought it was something more serious, i had to be towed home.
I think the engine has sized and either needs to be replaced or scrapped, i have uploaded a video onto youtube which i know does not give a macanics guide but im hoping someone will be able to
confirm if it needs replacing or scrapped or, maybe there is a lest drastic or cheaper way to repair the car

thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmYPEd4iVVc

Sponsored Links
First of all, the oil light indicates complete lack of oil pressure - if its been coming on when driving then the oil level must be critically low.
I can't tell from your video what the problem is, as the engine is cranking but doesn't seem to be starting.....its not siezed up though.
John :)

As John says, if you have been driving with the oil light coming on you have quite likely done it some serious damage, when you braked hard whatever oil was in the engine would have flowed to one end of the sump and away from the oil pump pick up, the rumbling sound was probably due to lack of oil pressure at the big ends and main bearings.

This won't stop it from starting but I suspect when you find the reason and get it started it will sound like a bag of nails.

Peter

Sponsored Links
i was advised it could be the fuel switch
not sure if its that, i can press the button on top as per the youtube link below.

Does this mean the switch is fine and i need to look at other factors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhRkpju_DLY[/QUOTE]

By all means press that switch to reset it (its not necessary to juggle with the thing like the guy in the video).
These switches are supposed to shut things off at point of impact, but I have known them deploy with just a jolt.
Any life in your engine yet?
John :)

Back