mondeo mark 2..judder on acceleration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdy all.hope someone can help.car has had new ht leads plug+timing belt(feb 06) but recently has started this annoying judder on speeding up.it has recently had new fuel filter as well.im not a car buff nut so dont know where to turn to next.going away next week so it needs mending.any help with this matter would be great thanks :)

Sponsored Links
If you had the timing belt changed it may be that the timing is slightly out - if your pressing the accelerator and its kind of flat and stuttering it may well be that is your problem - worth getting it checked out as it may be just out a fraction and making the car run like a bag of bolts

other than that check ht leads are tight and secure to plugs as it may cause a misfire again causing the car to stutter - simple checks but may solve your issue

ian :LOL: :cool:

also if you have recently changed the fuel filter - check you have fitted it correctly as there is a direction arrow printed on the filter for the flow of petrol going to your engine - if its wrong way round thats going to cause you a problem too :LOL:

ccheers for reply curdy!!

had breakdown out today.they plugged this eobd thingymebob in.and it came up with engine coolant temperature sensor fault.could be a bad connection but told me to renew it for what its worth.also could be the lambda sensor on exhaust. i forgot to say it gets worse as engine gets hotter on first post. any ideas how much each will cost respectivley?

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do is give Ford Dealership a quick call if they have parts and price them as most car shops nowadays only want to sell you blue neon lights for under your car and not really for car parts

Gone are the days of dealers neccesarily being the dearest option as I run a BMW and find my local dealer to be competitively priced and you know your getting genuine parts.

give them a ring see how you get on - theres always second hand / scrappy to get parts but if its a comon fault you may just have same problem

hope this helps Ian :cool: :LOL:

Temp sender should be around £15/£20. Easy to fit.
I'd also check distributor cap and rotor while you're at it

thanks guys for your help.changed temp send but still reluctant when speeding up..could it be air flow meter or lammbda sensor.will a bit of spay on dist cap help/?

For the price of dizzy cap and rotor, just change them for new. Bit of carburettor cleaner through the air intake will help too. About £3 from halfrauds, instructions on the tin.

mondeos don't have distributors or rotor arms. they do however have a rather troublesome coil pack. this, among other things, can cause a similar problem to yours. suggest substituting the coil pack with one from any zetec ford, they're pretty much all the same.

it may need a reset if it has logged a fault on the sender,i have heard this is possible by disconnecting the battery for 30mins and then re connect and take for a test drive,not sure if it works

hi all.still not managed to cure this annoying problem.

not a mechanic but i think summat needs adjusting somewhere:

these are symptoms:
1: in morning on first start up the car engine stops immediately.try again and the revs drop right down and shoot back up then drop again then when its revved problem cleared??

2: when accelerating gently there is little or no judder but when booted it rears its ugly head!!!
could the exhaust cause this?? when i stick my head out and boot it there is a bobble from exhaust but on idle the exhaust seems ok??

3:these are things ive forked out on...
new oil+filter
new timing belt,plugs,leads
new coolant sensor
aa said coil pack ok
also used carb cleaner on air inlet+redex in tank
: cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

where are you?

sounds like a management fault. possible Mass Air Flow sensor. could be many other things. who fitted the timing belt? was it someone who should know what they are doing? ie lock up cams and set belt to crank then lock up cams. only way to get cam timing spot on.

still think its a management fault. tell me what area you are in i may be able to recommend someone.

dave

wambangers said:
could disconnecting battery help folks??
Disconnecting the battery is unlikely to help but costs nothing to try!

It depends on the frequency of the vibration / judder is it in time with the engine revs (like a misfire) or is it more in time with the road wheels? It's possible for CV joints to give this sort of effect under acceleration - they move slightly out of line and gives an effect similar to an out of balance wheel.

The start up problem may just be the idle speed air valve that needs some carb cleaner spraying into it and a scrub with a tooth brush (use the missis's tooth brush just rinse well before returning). Do the throttle body too while you're at it.

Regards - J

Sponsored Links
Back