Monobloc tap washer too small for hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this isn't too daft a question ...

We had a plumber fit a monobloc tap for us. I've never really been happy with it as it wobbles when you turn it. Anyway over time it loosened, to cut a long story short I ended up replacing the O ring and the horseshoe washer to try to fix the problem.

What I realised was that the O ring is about the size of the sink cut out, which means as you tighten the tap it doesn't really sit properly on the surface of the sink. Am I being daft here - I would have thought the O ring would seal against the sink surface and the horseshoe washer compress against the underneath of the sink to hold the tap steady? I would also have thought the holes in the sink were standard size!!

Any advice before I give up and see if a replacement tap is better?

Photo of base of tap attached.

Thanks, Paul.

Attachments

• Kitchen tap.jpg
    Kitchen tap.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
No you're not being daft. Tap hole is a standard size and the o ring should seal against the sink surface but some need quite careful positioning and some are just too small. Many taps available online are cheap imports from countries where tap holes may be smaller.

Tap plinths are available in many different sizes,you will need the flat version without a lip.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back