Monoblock edge solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice before I do something silly. I'm having a torid time with the gap between my monoblock and lawn edge. It keeps getting overgrown. There is a stone divider (about 30cm deep) between the lawn and the monoblock and it's what to do about the bit in between. I've cleared it out of weeds/grass today and it now looks like this (monoblock itself is a work in progress)

I was thinking of putting cement down between the stone divider and the monoblock to get a more permanent solution. Would this be a bad idea? Any other suggestions how best to fill this gap? On a side note it wasn't my idea or doing to use an uneven divider or leave the gap it was like that when I bought the house

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes use mortar. 4:1 mix of plastering sand : Cement. Read somes guides on pointing in pavingexpert. Com. In an uneven gap its easiest to use a wet poured in slurry mix but the clean up is difficult. I would have a wee practise to get the timings of brushing clean right on a small area and try it as a slurry though. You'll get a better harder joint and it will be miles quicker to apply.

You could use a polymeric jointing compound like easyjoint, joint it, Marshalls weatherpoint etc they are expensive but can be used as a slurry, do not need lots of cleanup and are pretty idiotproof is your not confident with cement mortars.

Had a look at jointing compounds. Sounds like a better if costly solution for the whole patio rather than just the edge. Only concern is most have a minimum joint width. In places mine is a little bit tight as it doesn't appear to have been laid 100% uniform. Any idea what the consequence of using those products on areas where the gap is too small would be? I assume it just wouldn't harder correctly but can't find much info online

Sponsored Links
Is this for flags? These products are not suitable for use on block paving.

They work down to about 4mm when slurry applied.

Are the flags well laid? I.e not rocking or dipped at all? If there is any movement it may be a waste of money as the pointing will just break up.

It I'd block paving there is a tiny bit of movement on a couple near the edge but 99% is good

In that case you can not use a jointing compound as the joints in block paving are too narrow and block paving is a flexible surface, i.e its not rigid like a flags laid on a bed of mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back