Monoblock kitchen tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just fitted a fairly standard type of monoblock tap (Wickes Messina £79). On a brand new Franke Ascona sink. The problem is that the tap wobbles, or more correctly ‘nods’ front to back. It’s only slight, but in time limescale (we’re in a very hard water area) is going to form under the front section, limestone cleaner is going to rot the anti-rotation rubber washer/seal and we’ll need to strip it all down to fit a new seal. In addition it is slightly annoying once you know it’s doing it (or is that me getting OCD?).

I thought at first it was flexing of the stainless steel sink, but it is definitely due to the fact that the two screw rods that have to be screwed up tight to hold the tap in place are rather stupidly positioned (as they all seem to be) towards the back end of the tap. Tighten these up tight enough to prevent the tap swivelling, and this ‘nodding’ occurs. Also just noticed there is a very small gap between this seal and the sink top (just enough to easily slide a thin blade between).

Maybe the anti-slip seal/washer is to thick, either way has anyone experienced and solved this problem?

Sponsored Links
I haven’t that I recall, but what are you using to tighten up?

Chris: I’m using an adjustable spanner, it is tight in fact, I noticed as I was tightening, the back of the tap was closing up to the sink unit, but the front then started - ever so slightly - to lean back, thus the tap closes down tighter at the back than at the front, which I think is due to the fact that the two screw threaded poles that you tighten up are situated to the rear of the tap body! It’s so obvious really! And the washer/ seal maybe too thick.

Andy: that’s not the problem, the sink is quite a sturdy, thicker than the normal stainless steel sink you’d buy in a DIY store. The nodding or rocking, that I describe is more to do with the washer/seal that sits between the tap body and top of the sink. As described above, tightening up the screws underneath so the tap doesn’t swivel, just aggravates the situation as it tilts the tap very very slightly back.

I think I might play with it, use a bit of silicone sealant to prevent the hard water

Sponsored Links
You could try it without the gasket and use silicone to seal it and help hold it in place. Sounds like the seal is compressing more at the back than the front and the front is acting like a bit of a spring.

You could try it without the gasket and use silicone to seal it and help hold it in place. Sounds like the seal is compressing more at the back than the front and the front is acting like a bit of a spring.

Hmmm that’s an idea! Anyone know any reason why that shouldn’t be done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back