Months Of DIY Work Destroyed In 2 Days...

You don't need a written contract. Contracts can be verbal. Plus, you expect a professional job from a trader.
I said, she said...yeah right...that works in court...that's why tesco don't give reciepts for expensive items, you just say the person at checkout said it was a 3 year warranty...you silly billy bonkers.....

(Off topic removed)

...guess we expect too much

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I feel your pain.Just an observation on plaster bubbling on the cement board, Ive found that if its not primed with sbs any plaster seems to bubble and peel off because it dries too fast. Is there going to be a live flue and what kind in there
The register plate is also cement board and has a steel liner passing through it - is that what you mean?

Sponsored Links
That is some shoddy work and it looks like the tradesman has gone off and left the apprentice to do the job

The work is much better than the first wall I tried plastering, but that’s a proper low bar anybody plying for trade as a plasterer should be able to achieve a decent finish.

And I didn’t accept what I did, I put SBR on the wall and did it all again, it ended up slightly less sh1t and I filled it with easifill and sanded flat. End result was a dead flat wall when painted.

Made a start on chipping the Thistle Hardwall from the inside of the fireplace. Despite it having to come off anyway due to not being even remotely suitable for the inside of a fireplace (49°!), it almost fell off by itself.

Last edited:
"When I confronted the original plasterer, I gave him several opportunities to get the work sorted, but he just stood there looking shocked saying "What do you want me to do?" When I replied "I'm not a plasterer, what do you think you can you do?", he just repeated over and over "It's within tolerance, what do you want me to do?"

It sounds from that, like you have given him the opportunity to fix the work, which is all consumer law requires before you get someone else to fix it. So I'd state that in any correspondence. Then as has been said, if the new chap's bill is less than the cowboy's, consider paying the cowboy the difference. If the bill to rectify is more, invoice the cowboyfor the excess

Made a start on chipping the Thistle Hardwall from the inside of the fireplace. Despite it having to come off anyway due to not being even remotely suitable for the inside of a fireplace (49°!), it almost fell off by itself.
What are you actually gonna do here? Why not get some stone or some proper fire rated board and affix to sides. Whatever plaster products you have will need painting and maybe the heat with the paint will be similar issue

What are you actually gonna do here? Why not get some stone or some proper fire rated board and affix to sides. Whatever plaster products you have will need painting and maybe the heat with the paint will be similar issue
The background is already A1 rated cement board. For some reason the cowboy decided to skim it with Thistle Hardwall which is not fire rated, so it would have had to have come off anyway. The stuff almost dropped off in places as I scraped it off yesterday. Don't know if a surface prep is required on this stuff, but as you can see, there is none anyway. Incidentaly, the corner beads were stapled on and they fell off too.

Attachments

• 20240304_183113.jpg
    20240304_183113.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 94
I'd drill a hole in the area's where it is not level just to see how thick it is in places.
You can then make some records, evidence of how unsatisfactory and below standards the workmanship is!

I'd drill a hole in the area's where it is not level just to see how thick it is in places.
You can then make some records, evidence of how unsatisfactory and below standards the workmanship is!
That's a good plan - may help if the 'plasterer' wants to take things further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back