Mood lighting help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I’m about to move into a new flat (renting) and am thinking of dabbling in a bit of x-10. My main aim is to create ‘mood lighting scenes’ in the main living area that are easily changed by a press of a button. I’m new to all this but I have been looking around the net and have decided on what I want to achieve. I think it’s pretty simple but I seem to be restricted by the lack of UK x-10 products and my bank budget.

The ‘victim’ room has one light switch at the entrance that simultaneously operates 4 light fittings (ordinary house bulbs). This switch will be replaced with an x-10 compatible wall mount (preferably the same size as the existing one because I can’t really modify the fitting) with dimming capabilities. Ideally I want something that has specific ‘scene’ buttons similar to this:

http://www.smarthome.com/23796.HTML

Can this wall mount be modified to work with 240v’s? Has anyone done this before? Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced UK alternative? I have read that people are using the US style RF receivers with a little modification; can this also apply to the wall switches?

In addition to this, I intend to have 2-3 plug-in lamps scattered around the room connected by standard x-10 lamp modules. In principle, the wall switch should be able to operate the existing wall lights and any x-10 lamp modules I have. I also envisage a RF receiver somewhere so I can control all this from the sofa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Due to the fact that I’m renting this flat I need to install all this without modifying the fixtures and fittings.

Thanks for reading this far!

Wayne

Sponsored Links
I will get back to you on this one tomorrow when I have more time, as I have an X10 system, and I have quite a lot of knowledge regards X10. If you shop around you can find some quite good deals on x10 equipment. Do you know what you need? If not you can buy a starter kit, or I will advise you on what modules to buy and you can see what is cheaper...

Thanks for the quick reply.

I sort of know what i need. Of course this will vary depending on how i tackle the wall socket.

I look forward to your reply.

Wayne

This switch will be replaced with an x-10 compatible wall mount (preferably the same size as the existing one because I can’t really modify the fitting) with dimming capabilities

No problem. This unit can work standalone if required or as part of the X10 system and it will take anywhere from 40 to 300 watts. It fits a standard light switch fitting. That way, you can just keep the old switch and put it back in when you move out of the rented premises.
3419L.jpg

Can this wall mount be modified to work with 240v’s? Has anyone done this before?

No to both answers.

I have read that people are using the US style RF receivers with a little modification; can this also apply to the wall switches?

What reason is there for this? It would also void any safety approvals, any waranty, and I wouldn't reccomend it..

In addition to this, I intend to have 2-3 plug-in lamps scattered around the room connected by standard x-10 lamp modules. In principle, the wall switch should be able to operate the existing wall lights and any x-10 lamp modules I have. I also envisage a RF receiver somewhere so I can control all this from the sofa.
No problem. The switch for your ceiling lights will be on its own, but it can also be controlled by an RF switch, with a transceiver module if you want to control all lights from the same switch. In this case, use a stick-a-switch:
3477L.jpg

and have a transceiver module plugged in somewhere:
3528L.jpg

The transceiver module can also function as an appliance module.

Ideally I want something that has specific ‘scene’ buttons similar to this:

http://www.smarthome.com/23796.HTML

Hmm... I've had a look, and I will look, but I can't really find anything like it for the UK. What you could do is get a computer interface module, and set up macros which will create specific moods within the house. Download the macros into the interface's memory, and then set your stick a switch or remote to the address of the macros. Then when the interface sees this address, it sends out all the different signals to individual modules to create the 'scenes' for you. Just a thought.
As for a remote, there are several available, you can get one which will control your TV, VCR and DVD as well.
3493L.jpg

Only problem I have with this is it seems to guzzle batteries. You can get a variety of remotes, etc.
If you have any questions or further details, then just ask.

Sponsored Links
Zen, I have that IR/RF marmitek remote I use it a lot for X10 aswell as the normal stuff had it a year now and batteries are still working fine yours may be faulty?

Maybe. It would typically be my luck...

Maybe I'll try using some good quality batteries rather than whatever I can find.

Thanks for all the info. It confirms what i was planning.

I've just spent ages typing up a reply only to lose it all because of my cheapo dial-up connection. I'll have another go (just with the clipboard at hand this time).

The main aim of my first post was to ask if anyone was aware of an x-10 compatible wall switch. I was really looking for something that combined the standard single x-10 wall switch with the features of the stick-a-switch. I really appreciate you helping me look.

I've just got a couple of other questions with regard to the computer interface module.

1) I've heard the on-board memory is limited. Is there sufficient room to upload 4 'scene' macros, each controling approx 4 lights?

2) I've also read somewhere that the macro works in a linear fashion in that it processes each action in turn. For example:

a) Turn on lamp location A1
b) Dim lamp location A1
c) Turn off lamp location A2
....etc...

Does this mean that there is a noticable delay between different lights being controled? I don't want the front room to resemble Las Vegas everytime a scene is selected! Do you have any experience with this?

1) I've heard the on-board memory is limited. Is there sufficient room to upload 4 'scene' macros, each controling approx 4 lights?

The onboard memory is only one kilobyte, however it should be enough for your purposes. You can also have macros controlled by the computer, which are more or less unlimited, but they don't work with your computer off.

2) I've also read somewhere that the macro works in a linear fashion in that it processes...

Unfortunately, Viva Las Vegas! That said, you can do relative dimming and absolute dimming. That is, you can dim without brightening if the light is already on, but you dim or brighten it by a certain percentage.

I don't know whether there is a solution which would allow absolute dimming without first brightening within the hand of us proles, but I did set up a linux system which kept track of things, and could pick up commands, analyze the current brightness, and therefore how to dim everything. Not exactly for the unexperienced or those who don't have an entire Sunday to waste creating script files, though.

It should be noted that if you want two things to act entirely in unison, one can set them to the same unit code and it will work perfectly well.

I´have to say my main annoyance with this is the noticeability comes as a result to make things look more tasteful, that is, the lamp fades as it dims rather than just dimming instantly. It looks great in single light situations, but in situations with lots of lights, it can be a bit of a pain. It takes about a second to send each command. To dim all the way down, it takes just under 3 seconds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back