LED's for the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Much is guess work as little is said in the advert but likely PWM control to get 12 ~ 24 volt likely actually a standard 10 ~ 36 volt unit. In which case volt drop is not really a problem around 2 amp but also designed for battery operation using a switch mode power supply could be a problem. Although since the regulations stipulate watts not lumen you can legally fit you clearly have to consider neighbours. This amount of light from a tungsten lamp would require planning permission.

You have not said what size power supply you intend to use but at 4 amp a pair it will get warm, likely something like a laptop supply would do the job. If all supplied from same power supply 270W at 12 volt = 22.5A and at 24 volt 11.25A quite a hefty output. They should be good enough to light 20 acres of woodland. Should be enough for a night time mountain bike track.

Your likely looking as something like this
T-30PS-220%281%29.jpg
it is not sealed in fact it has a cooling fan to force the cooling air through it. So mounting outside would be a problem. The supplies are used to replace batteries in caravans, power ham radios (the one I found said CB but at 4W max seems a bit large for CB) model cars etc. Some are designed to charge batteries some are designed to replace them. For radio work the sudden load of transmit means the power supply needs to be very good, caravans can use cheaper models.

The typical price is between £70 and £400 according to bells and whistles are included. So likely it will cost same as lamps again on power supplies.

stevep5b you cant mount a 230v power source "outdoors "unless in a "suitable enclosure" rendering it waterproof to the elements
you mention switch in doors and power source outdoors ??

I can see I will have problems powering this much light. I may as well settle for dumping these lamps and use something "off the shelf". Thanks for your replies

Sponsored Links
Good idea, particularly when you read this from the seller:

"Local business seller specialize in all kinds of LED product. Here you could find LED strip light, LED bulbs and LED driving light etc."

A UK seller?

Believe that and you'll believe anything.

I use a 5W 230 volt flood lamp at the front of my house which is ample to see my way to car and waste bins. With LED it is easy to go OTT as we simply don't realise how much light such a small wattage lamp will give out.

But with the old tungsten they got hot any rain which got in was soon driven out next time it went on. But with LED any water which gets in tends to stay in, so when converting to LED some times you need to drill drain holes to allow any water which does get in to also get out again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back