moonshine

Sponsored Links
Old news ;)
In the early 90's a loop-hole was found in Russia's alcohol import regulations and the whole of Europe shipped 96% pure alcohol in truck-loads to Russia (T1-alcohol). Consumers were supposed to 'water-it-down': 1 part alcohol, 3 (or 2) parts water. A lot of them made it 1 on 1 ;)
Then that loop-hole was closed, followed by exporting 200 liter drums of 96% alcohol. Half way the 90's that was closed also and 'watered-down' alcohol (ready-made) in cans was the next loop-hole. At one point the company having the most empty cans and the best and quickest 'filling-station' was top dog.

Company I worked for in that time had to 'fight-off' Russians knocking on the front door with suitcases full of dollars, all asking for truckloads of 96% pure alcohol (ethyl-alcohol for those in the know). Glorious times for the shareholders ;)

So IMHO Russian 'binge-drinking' of high level alcohol is nothing new.

Woods
ethyl-alcohol , doesnt that make you blind if you drink it ?
I bet I have tried it in the past knowing some of the Dives I would go for lockins in ..lol

Moz said:
Woods
ethyl-alcohol , doesnt that make you blind if you drink it ?
No Moz, only when you add wood-spirit to it ;) Ethyl-alcohol comes from fermenting sugar (beet - cane) using yeast (same as any fruit that 'ferments'): nature's present to men ;)

Sponsored Links
It's methyl-alcohol (wood alcohol) that converts to formic acid in the retina and makes you blind. Happened a lot during prohibition and you hear of it now and again in Eastern Europe when people add methyl-alcohol in the form of anti-freeze to spirits like vodka.

When you go to some places on holiday you can buy bottles of whisky, brandy etc for less than a quid it is often alcohol with an added flavouring to try and make it taste like a proper drink. I think it's usually ethyl-alcohol but I would never buy any in case it's the other kind!

I read this last night and got drunk ,forgot what it was about ,woke up blind and ain;'t got a clue what you are all writing about

Back