Moral of the story...don't leave floorboards up...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Refitting my bathroom at the moment and so I'm working under the floorboards. I have also coincidently just had the lower hallway ceiling replastered (beneath the bathroom), looked beautiful.

Needing a special drill bit I rushed out of the house, closing the bathroom door to stop the spread of dust, bought the bit I needed and headed home.

Rushing upstairs to finish the evening's DIY I opened the bathroom door and stupidly forgotten that I had left the floorboard up, put my foot straight through the gap and onto ceiling below :( fortunately the laths supported my weight a bit and I balanced myself with my other foot BUT the lower ceiling's newly plastered ceiling has been cracked quite badly - guess I'll have to strip the new plaster off, bond and replaster it now :(

Moral of the story, doesn't matter how much time it might save, put floorboards back in place once you've finished working underneath them, especially when upstairs!

Sponsored Links
Rushing upstairs to finish the evening's DIY I opened the bathroom door and stupidly forgotten that I had left the floorboard up, put my foot straight through the gap and onto ceiling below :(

Could have been worse - if you'd been in a rush for a Number Two you could have crapped yerself as well.

i was working in a house a couple of years ago and there were a couple of floorboards up in the front room leaving a biggish whole with a good couple of feet below the joists.

A guy came by to deliver a fridge. We pointed out the hole to him and offered to put the boards down for him. 'nah that'll be fine, mate'

It was nigh on impossible to breath with laughter when he fell straight through the hole. Luckily the only thing that was damaged was his pride.

Sponsored Links
When I worked for a large M&E company a few years ago, we were working in an ancestrial home, we had floor boards up in a long corridor, the owner's Jack Russel came running into the hall and straight under the floor, he dissapeared and wouldn't come out for hours (little B*****d .. I mean "Dear"!!!) :evil:

When I worked for a large M&E company a few years ago, we were working in an ancestrial home, we had floor boards up in a long corridor, the owner's Jack Russel came running into the hall and straight under the floor, he dissapeared and wouldn't come out for hours (little B*****d .. I mean "Dear"!!!) :evil:

:D :D best place for a snappy little Jack Russell hehe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back