More Advice Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all your help so far. So based on your advice I am going to replace my old oil boiler. I live in the south west of France (Carcassonne). I want the boiler for central heating only. 10 1kw rads it’s quite a big house 6 beds modern block build tile floors etc. The weather here is freezing in winter (snow).
Could you give me advice as to what boiler I should buy? Good reliable make, what KW and what accessories etc. :rolleyes:
Regards
Ray B

Sponsored Links
10 x 1kw rads is not that big a system - an 18kW System boiler with a programmable room stat would be fine.

Out of interest how is your water heated?

I would go for the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 612, but as you are in France you may have to make do with the Saunier Duval equivalent. Vaillant bought them to get a sales toe hold in France, as apparently the French only like to buy their own products.

Sponsored Links
Forgive my ignorance Gents. If I got a higher KW say a 30KW (might be adding an extension, will that use more fuel? Is it better to work a boiler?
Is bigger better?
Ray :rolleyes:

NO. The boiler needs to be range rated to run at the heat output required. Whats the point of a boiler giving 30Kw output if the rads can only emit 10KW :rolleyes:

If you plan to extend later then try to work out the heat loss for the extension (approx) now and then buy a larger boiler, say a 618, then range rate it at 12 Kw for now ;)

Dan_Robinson said:
10 x 1kw rads is not that big a system - an 18kW System boiler with a programmable room stat would be fine.

Out of interest how is your water heated?

By an electric balon. (Cylinder) Would it be wise to get a boiler to do both?

In the UK then definitely, either a combi to save space or a boiler and hw cylinder so you have a back up.

I don't know what fuel costs are in France so cannot advise what is best over there.

Depending on the size and amountof water you use yes...

170 litre cylinder electric reheat time - 3 hours.

150 litre indirect cylinder reheat time - 20 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back