more breaking glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks before Christmas we suffered a similar problem (breaking glass) with six of our double glazed units fitted in Georgian sash hardwood frames, all cracking within a 3 week period. A single DG unit is fitted in each sash, with the glazing bars glued to the outside with silicone. All installed between 7 & 8 years ago, never had a problem before. Each window has cracked, either inside or outside pane, the crack following the line of the glazing bars. 5 of the six failures happened shortly after painting the inside frame with Satin wood paint - there has to be a connection. The installer claims not to have experienced this before, so is not at present offering replacement under guarantee. Looking on the internet it sounds like a combination of thermal conditions (cold temperature), & deteriorating seals - any thoughts? Dare I risk painting any more windows? Should I specify replacements to be toughened glass?

BandB, please don't hi jack posts

Sponsored Links
This is fairly common it mainly happens in the winter it really only the diiferent expansion rates of the glass and lead, the aint anything you can do about it

My windows aren't leaded, but the glued-on wooden strips may have an effect if they absorb moisture and expand.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back