More creaking floor questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

After umming and ahhing, I finally went with a cheap engineered wood single oak strip from Wickes - this is similar to products sold at Topps and Homebase (2.5mm wear layer, 13.5 mm thick, 1220 long, - a click system). I'm laying it on top on Wickes 5mm fibreboard. The carpenter I have is struggling a bit putting it tgether - as others have found this product has to be hammered together and is tough going, but looks very nice.

After about three planks widths down the room though, I'm a bit concerned - the floor is very noisy if I step on it - it'crackles' as I think the pressure 'releases' along the joins held together by friction. It also deflects, not sure if this is the 5mm thickness underlay allowing it, or to be expected with just a few boards down.

Should I be nervous at this stage - is it usual when you've only got a few boards down for this sort of noise and deflection, and is it likely that as more boards are added things get a bit more stable and quieter? A quick search reveals others have had the same problem with noise. Has anyone actually had success with these particular products from Wickes et al?

I've also read that candle wax makes things easier to slot together - is this also likely to improve the noise, lowering the friction, or would it make it more likely to separate?

I would just carry on and see, but I've got another problem with the floor seriously running out near the windows - that's for another post, but is making me question if I can even do the floor in wood.

All input appreciated - I thought we were finally going to finish off this build (it's been nine months!), and this is yet another setback!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back