Fibreboard Underlay - To Tape Or Not To Tape.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Chaps

laying laminate over my renovated Concrete Mill Floor.... Had to get a screed on the floor, that has made the floor far more level than it was previous (not perfect, but better)

Have purchased 8mm Kaindl 1 laminate, and 5mm Fibreboard from Wickes!

Now guys, just a bit of advice. the floor is 140 metres square, big area. Would I tape the fibreboard together, or simply lay it out on the floor before putting the laminate on top.

Cheers in advance guys

Sponsored Links
I normally tape up all the joints on the underlay, whether it's fibreboard or the foam type.
Notice you have a concrete floor. You'll need a damp proof membrane between the sub floor and underlay

I normally tape up all the joints on the underlay, whether it's fibreboard or the foam type.
Notice you have a concrete floor. You'll need a damp proof membrane between the sub floor and underlay

Thanks for the reply Vampy

Im 3 floors up, I have been told that a damp proof membrain really isnt required from a few folk within the game.

Also sub floor and underlay, isnt the fibreboard act as both sub floor and underlay.

What I have:
1. Screed
2. Fibreboard
3. Laminate

this will be suffice surely?

Got you now, I assumed you were on ground floor. The subfloor is what you are laying the laminate on, whether is be solid concrete floor or wooden floorboards. Has the screed dried throughly?

If you feel that a damp proof membrane is not needed, then you can go ahead and lay the fibreboard underlay and laminate. May be best to do fit the underlay in sections rather than laying it all out first. That will save you from walking on and off it and damaging it.

Don't forget to leave a 10mm expansion gap between floor and wall.

Sponsored Links
Got you now, I assumed you were on ground floor. The subfloor is what you are laying the laminate on, whether is be solid concrete floor or wooden floorboards. Has the screed dried throughly?

If you feel that a damp proof membrane is not needed, then you can go ahead and lay the fibreboard underlay and laminate. May be best to do fit the underlay in sections rather than laying it all out first. That will save you from walking on and off it and damaging it.

Don't forget to leave a 10mm expansion gap between floor and wall.

Your some man Vampy, thanks a million.

Yer, 3rd floor, really warm flat, heating not needed for winter etc (lucky).

Smashing info as well my friend, hope the fibreboard takes some of the irregularities out of the floor, small dips etc, it should, they are actually ok.

Screed doena few months ago vampy, so all good

thank you mate

You're welcome :) Would be interested to see how it turns out once the floor's been fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back