Laminate on Uneveen Floor.... What Underlay will be Best ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys

Recently purchased a renovated flat in an old mill/factory. Floor was like a River, uneven to say the least. No way I could have put any type of flooring on it!

So I had a screed put on it, dramatic improvement, but not 100% even, still a tad "Hilly" in parts, a wee bit up and down, but nothing to drastic, and can be compensated in parts.

What Im looking for guys is advice on what type of underlay to use, its a large area 80 metres sqrd for the living room alone. Ive looked at Fibrebord underlay, around 6mm thickness, and 8mm laminate. What do you think guys, could the fibreboard do the trick, or would normal foil backed underlay be ok?

Thanks in advance guys, Desperate situation here!

Kev

Sponsored Links
you don't say how much or over what area
any run greater than 6m will require an additional expansion gap

After recent experience laying laminate floors in my hose, on what I thought was quite even floors, I have to say any kind of variation you will notice very easily!

I used 8mm thick, with the recommended silver foil and foam underlay for concrete floors. I checked to see how close the floor was, and it was minimal. No the floor is down, there must have been one spot about 1mm more than I expected, and the plants on that creak every time.

Shame is I now have all the kitchen fitted over it, so I would have to destroy the new kitchen to change it!

I say go thick as you can, but image there would be a degree that could be too thick, and give too much movement. 6mm still sounds thick to me....

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys

Im thinking of going with Polythene taped to the floor for moisture, 6/7mm Fibreboard, and 8mm kaindl laminate.

I expect some runs etc as its an old mill floor with a screed, not completely flat. Some of the info earlier, i do not have nor totally understand to be honest guys, sorry.

So in total, that would maybe give me around 14/15 mm thikness.

I was going to go with the silver foil back underlay, around 3mm, but you have helped me out big time, thatnk you man!

Anyone else have any experince laying laminate on uneven floors, and best way to compensate with underlay??? (already screeded)

Cheers men

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back