PLEASE HELP! Complicated underlay under laminate flooring!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a drain cover in our kitchen that we need to fit the laminate flooring around and into. we have a concrete floor and the metal trim of the drain cover sits proud of the floor by 18mm. the laminate flooring I want to use is 8mm. so to make up the extra 10mm so the top of the floor is flush with the top of the drain, should we use 2 underlays to build up the floor? or perhaps put down some ply or mdf or something under the layer of underlay?
I dont know if you could use 2 underlays together such as these:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/191372/?source=123_75
together with:
http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/7mm-x-590mm-x-856mm-fibreboard-underlay-9-6m2-pack.html
if so which would you put down first?
this is the laminate flooring I am planning on using:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/travertine-laminate-flooring/invt/215613/
THANKS SO MUCH - WOULD BE REALLY GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD LET ME KNOW ASAP.
I dont want to get it wrong and find we are have it at the wrong level in a year! or the underlays slip against eachother.
Claire.

Sponsored Links
We would install exterior grade plywood. Double layers of underlayment could create an extra bounce - go for a thinner underlayment anyway 8.5mm is rather thick for thin laminate flooring

Hi Claire,

You should really build up the floor with screed 4mm then with a felt board underlay 6mm then the laminate 8mm which will give you the 18mm. If you put 2 layers of underlay down to raise the floor you will probably invalidate your warranty.

thanks very much for your response. the only thing we have now realised is that the drains stick out by slightly different amounts - like anything between 9mm & 15mm! (double checked today and its 15 at the highest point not 18mm.)

I'm starting to think maybe we need to pour some kind of leveling compound - and then tile. & bring the tiles maybe level with the highest point - as with tiles we dont need to leave an expansion gap and could mastic / grout the metal rim and just cut it out if we ever need access?!

its a pity there isnt a floor covering you could pull back, but as its in the kitchen we cant do carpet. I dont know if it could be an option to ply it to level with the drain and then do an underlay and a vinyl that could be lifted......

Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

From what you are saying you will probably need to level the floor with a self-levelling floor screed to make the levels constant all over the floor.

If you put a wood floor down screed the floor then pick an underlay that will have a suitable depth. They come from 1mm to 6mm.

Lay the main body of the wood flooring through the kitchen cutting around the drain.

There are then 2 ways to combat the drain.

1) cut around the drain and then fit a transition profile mitered around the drain . Cut some planks and cover the drain and then put the transition strip down to hide the joint.

2) cut around the drain and fit the floor on the drain leaving a small gap that will follow the rim of the drain. Fill the gap with mastic.

I hope this information helps

Hi Daniel

Is your website floorsave.co.uk? would you be interested in quoting to supply and fit. we are in east London - 2 mins from Limehouse DLR.

I am not sure what exactly the transition trip would look like?

Many thanks,

Claire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back